John Reister

Jun 1, 2020, 1:51:26 PM6/1/20
to BeagleBoard
I looked over some of the prior discussions around softAP using /etc/default/bb-wl18xx settings.  Seems like an option to use a user-generate hostapd.
I have a couple questions:
1) I'd like to use the softAP to exchange raw Ethernet with some host STAs.  It seems like I can change the SSID and passkey by modifying the /etc/default/bb-wl18xx.  I want to make the SSID hidden (not broadcast) and I'd like to disable the DHCP on that interface as well.  Is that possible?

2) Is it possible to change the SSID and passkey without rebooting?  [not a crisis if I have to reboot]

3) Is there a good way to use Python to change the SSID and passkey?  My Python code has the BB (acting as a wifi STA) communicating with a server (AWS).  I would like to remotely configure the BB with a softAP SSID and passkey, so that my IOT devices can connect to it.

Thanks, john

Robert Nelson

Jun 1, 2020, 2:07:36 PM6/1/20
to Beagle Board, john.r...@gopowerev.com
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:51 PM John Reister <john.r...@gopowerev.com> wrote:

> I looked over some of the prior discussions around softAP using /etc/default/bb-wl18xx settings. Seems like an option to use a user-generate hostapd.
> I have a couple questions:
> 1) I'd like to use the softAP to exchange raw Ethernet with some host STAs. It seems like I can change the SSID and passkey by modifying the /etc/default/bb-wl18xx. I want to make the SSID hidden (not broadcast) and I'd like to disable the DHCP on that interface as well. Is that possible?

SSID hidden would be;

# Send empty SSID in beacons and ignore probe request frames that do not
# specify full SSID, i.e., require stations to know SSID.
# default: disabled (0)
# 1 = send empty (length=0) SSID in beacon and ignore probe request for
# broadcast SSID
# 2 = clear SSID (ASCII 0), but keep the original length (this may be required
# with some clients that do not support empty SSID) and ignore probe
# requests for broadcast SSID

ignore_broadcast_ssid=0

I can patch that in tomorrow, so the value could be utilzed..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-wl18xx-firmware/blob/master/debian/bb-wl18xx-tether

> 2) Is it possible to change the SSID and passkey without rebooting? [not a crisis if I have to reboot]

You could try just re-running:

sudo /usr/bin/bb-wl18xx-tether
(un-tested..)

Probably best to kill hostapd and just re-run: (with /tmp/hostapd-wl18xx.conf)

sudo /usr/sbin/hostapd -B /tmp/hostapd-wl18xx.conf

> 3) Is there a good way to use Python to change the SSID and passkey? My Python code has the BB (acting as a wifi STA) communicating with a server (AWS). I would like to remotely configure the BB with a softAP SSID and passkey, so that my IOT devices can connect to it.

It's a raw /etc/default/bb-wl18xx

sed -i -e 's:USE_PERSONAL_SSID:#USE_PERSONAL_SSID:g' /etc/default/bb-wl18xx
sed -i -e 's:USE_PERSONAL_PASSWORD=#USE_PERSONAL_PASSWORD:g'
/etc/default/bb-wl18xx
echo 'USE_PERSONAL_SSID="myssid"' >> /etc/default/bb-wl18xx
echo 'USE_PERSONAL_PASSWORD="mypassword"' >> /etc/default/bb-wl18xx

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Jun 1, 2020, 2:09:03 PM6/1/20
to Beagle Board, john.r...@gopowerev.com
ps you can bypass the whole generated hostapd with:

# USE_GENERATED_HOSTAPD: use generated version of /etc/hostapd.conf;
set to no so user can modify /etc/hostapd.conf
USE_GENERATED_HOSTAPD=yes

Then just set /etc/hostapd.conf as you see fit, and on startup your
version of /etc/hostapd.conf will be used..

meiling wen

Dec 21, 2020, 9:12:44 AM12/21/20
to BeagleBoard
Hc05 replacement module
Due to the serious shortage of hc05 bluetooth modules, we need to replace the modules urgently.I bought one from the market and I'm testing it now.
Has anyone used it?How about this one?

在 2020年6月2日星期二 UTC+8上午1:51:26,John Reister写道: