S-Video

Robert Kuhn

Oct 21, 2008, 7:07:21 AM10/21/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

how can I enable S-Video with the current "Angstrom-kernel"?

Robert

Måns Rullgård

Oct 21, 2008, 7:16:04 AM10/21/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Robert Kuhn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how can I enable S-Video with the current "Angstrom-kernel"?

You can't.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Robert Kuhn

Oct 21, 2008, 8:29:41 AM10/21/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
2008/10/21 Måns Rullgård <ma...@mansr.com>:

> Robert Kuhn wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how can I enable S-Video with the current "Angstrom-kernel"?
>
> You can't.

Okay, thanks for the answer.

R.

Robert Kuhn

Oct 25, 2008, 2:46:07 AM10/25/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
a additional question.

2008/10/21 Måns Rullgård <ma...@mansr.com>:

>> how can I enable S-Video with the current "Angstrom-kernel"?
>
> You can't.

But I can with TI's omap3 kernel (2.6.22) which its open source. So
one can port the code from TI's kernel to the "git kernel". Okay,
someone has to do it but it is not impossible. Or I am wrong?

I am asking because s-video is an important feature, at least for me.

Robert

Koen Kooi

Oct 25, 2008, 7:37:37 AM10/25/08
to Beagle Board
On 25 okt, 08:46, "Robert Kuhn" <rowka...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> a additional question.
>
> 2008/10/21 Måns Rullgård <m...@mansr.com>:
>
> >> how can I enable S-Video with the current "Angstrom-kernel"?
>
> > You can't.
>
> But I can with TI's omap3 kernel (2.6.22) which its open source. So
> one can port the code from TI's kernel to the "git kernel". Okay,
> someone has to do it but it is not impossible. Or I am wrong?

This was covered extensively on this list a few weeks ago and the
consensus was that the best way forward would be to add s-video
support to the new DSS lib (whether that will be the nokia one or the
TI one).

regards,

Koen

Robert Kuhn

Oct 25, 2008, 8:53:42 AM10/25/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
2008/10/25 Koen Kooi <koen...@gmail.com>:

Okay, I see, Thank you. I will have a look at the archives.
Robert

Robert Kuhn

Oct 27, 2008, 4:47:24 AM10/27/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
2008/10/25 Koen Kooi <koen...@gmail.com>:

>> But I can with TI's omap3 kernel (2.6.22) which its open source. So
>> one can port the code from TI's kernel to the "git kernel". Okay,
>> someone has to do it but it is not impossible. Or I am wrong?
>
> This was covered extensively on this list a few weeks ago and the

I foudn the thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/dc11612c4d6533cf/e6d794fbf2d0abea?lnk=gst&q=s-video#e6d794fbf2d0abea

Does someone tried the two patches with the latest kernel? Is it working?

Robert

Robert Kuhn

Nov 7, 2008, 3:52:25 AM11/7/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
2008/10/21 Måns Rullgård <ma...@mansr.com>:

> Robert Kuhn wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how can I enable S-Video with the current "Angstrom-kernel"?
>
> You can't.

JFTR. Yesterday I was poited to
http://www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/. This kernel should
have the latest patches to make s-video working. I tried it but:

Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
rootdelay=2 rootfstype=ext2 ro video
=omapfb:mode:1024x768@60 psplash=false
Console: colour dummy device 80x30
Unable to get DVI reset GPIO
OMAP DMA hardware revision 4.0
Missing LCD configuration

and a fuzzy display.

R.

Robert Kuhn

Nov 7, 2008, 7:42:46 AM11/7/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Tomi Valkeinen
Hello,

this is robert, the human gateway for Tomi Valkeinen.

I can.

1. Grab the recent kernel from http://www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/
2. git clone http://www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/ ; cd
linux-omap-dss; ....
2. Compile the kernel with the attached config (USB host is not
working so I cannot use my keyboard. But this should only be a little
change?)
3. Use this kernel :-)

This is directly from Tomi:
##################Tomi start##################

Yes, the current version doesn't parse any command line parameters.
You can change the default DVI resolution from kernel config, Device
Drivers/Graphics support/Omap2/3 display device drivers/

As for the USB, my kernel config enables usb gadget mode. I don't know
what kind of USB you need, so perhaps turn it off.

No framebuffer is by default directed to s-video. You have to
configure it from the sysfs interface. Check out
Documentation/arm/OMAP/DSS

For example, try this:

---

tvline=`cat /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays |grep tv`
w=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
h=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 3 | cut -d ":" -f 2`

echo "1 t:none" > omapfb/framebuffers
echo "0 t:gfx,vid1" > omapfb/framebuffers
echo "gfx e:1" > omapfb/overlays
echo "vid1 t:tv w:$w h:$h e:1" > omapfb/overlays
echo "tv e:1" > omapfb/displays

##################Tomi end##################

With this config I got s-video working with 2.6.28-rc3-omap1-g69302d0

Nice weekend!
Robert

beagle.config

Måns Rullgård

Nov 7, 2008, 9:06:08 AM11/7/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Robert Kuhn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is robert, the human gateway for Tomi Valkeinen.

> I can.
>
> 1. Grab the recent kernel from
> http://www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/
> 2. git clone http://www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/ ; cd
> linux-omap-dss; ....
> 2. Compile the kernel with the attached config (USB host is not
> working so I cannot use my keyboard. But this should only be a little
> change?)
> 3. Use this kernel :-)

That's not "the current Angstrom kernel", that's Tomi's kernel.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Koen Kooi

Nov 7, 2008, 9:10:11 AM11/7/08
to Beagle Board
On 7 nov, 13:42, "Robert Kuhn" <rowka...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> With this config I got s-video working with 2.6.28-rc3-omap1-g69302d0

# CONFIG_NEON is not set

So you gain TV-out, but loose all the fancy NEON stuff, e.g.
omapfbplay and mplayer will crash.

regards,

Koen

Måns Rullgård

Nov 7, 2008, 9:13:54 AM11/7/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I don't see anything that would prevent him turning CONFIG_NEON back on.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Koen Kooi

Nov 7, 2008, 9:24:34 AM11/7/08
to Beagle Board
I was pointing out that the magic defconfig disabled NEON so we won't
get a flood of "s-video works, but everything crashes" mails :)

regards,

Koen

Robert Kuhn

Nov 7, 2008, 2:13:28 PM11/7/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
>> I can.

> That's not "the current Angstrom kernel", that's Tomi's kernel.

Sorry, of course you are right. All I want to say is that it is
possible to use s-video with a kernel newer than 2.6.22.

Sorry again for beeing unclear.

R.

Tomi Valkeinen

Nov 7, 2008, 5:27:35 AM11/7/08
to Robert Kuhn, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The omap3_beagle_defconfig in the git tree has not been modified (I guess
I should). So you need to enable the new DSS. Attached is my config, with
DSS enabled.

Note also that currently the S-Video output defaults to PAL mode, and
there's no dynamic way to change it. If you want NTSC, change from
arch/arm/plat-omap/dss/venc.c:venc_init()

int use_pal = 1;

int use_pal = 0;

Tomi