16+ Analog Input Options for Beaglebone

jona.he...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2014, 9:47:24 AM9/1/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I would like to use the BeagleBone to acquire 16 analog signals.  The transducers will be a mix of resistive temperature and current sensors.    The temperature sensors will produce a signal between 0~5V and the current transformers will output of 0~0.333V.  The BeagleBone Black is limited to 7 analog inputs.  I was not able to find a cape that offers 16 analog inputs.

1.  Does a BeagleBone Black cape exist that will multiplex and signal condition 16 analog signals (0~5V).
2.  If this does not exist, can one of the BeagleBone experts recommend an alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Richard St-Pierre

Sep 2, 2014, 11:19:40 AM9/2/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, jona.he...@gmail.com
A common practice to increase the number of ADC channels is to use an "Analog Multiplexer" (MUX).  Use a few GPIO bits to control the addressing.
You can provide a single point buffer to support the 0-5 to 0-1.8V scaling.
Cheers

Curt Carpenter

Dec 1, 2014, 3:19:32 PM12/1/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, jona.he...@gmail.com
It might be easiest to purchase a few multi-channel, 5V compatible A/D converter ICs that feature an I2C or SPI interface, and use that interface to connect them to the BB.  A quick search at a distributor's website will give you multiple devices to choose from, like the MCP3002.