Azure IoT Edge Runtime on BeagleBone Green

Stony Kong

Apr 5, 2021, 9:25:10 AM4/5/21
to BeagleBoard
Good Day everyone,

I have tried to install Azure IoT Edge runtime on my BeagleBone Board Green running  Debian 10, 2020-04-06 image but encountered problem when I reach the stage to installing the Moby engine.

Basically, I follow the steps outlined in the below link :

When I execute the below steps :
 sudo apt-get install moby-engine

I got the below error :
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 moby-engine : Depends: moby-containerd (>= 1.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: moby-runc (>= 1.0.0~rc93) but it is not going to be installed

The microsoft document does have mentioned possible error on the Moby installation and they have provided some script to test the configuration. Below is the result :

debian@beaglebone:~$ curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/moby/moby/master/contrib/check-config.sh -o check-config.sh
debian@beaglebone:~$ chmod +x check-config.sh
debian@beaglebone:~$ ./check-config.sh
info: reading kernel config from /proc/config.gz ...

Generally Necessary:
- cgroup hierarchy: properly mounted [/sys/fs/cgroup]
- apparmor: enabled, but apparmor_parser missing
    (use "apt-get install apparmor" to fix this)
- CONFIG_NAMESPACES: enabled
- CONFIG_NET_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_PID_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_IPC_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_UTS_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUPS: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_CPUACCT: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_FREEZER: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_CPUSETS: enabled
- CONFIG_MEMCG: enabled
- CONFIG_KEYS: enabled
- CONFIG_VETH: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_BRIDGE: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_ADDRTYPE: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_CONNTRACK: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_IPVS: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MARK: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT: enabled
- CONFIG_NF_NAT: enabled
- CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE: enabled
- CONFIG_NF_NAT_IPV4: enabled
- CONFIG_NF_NAT_NEEDED: enabled

Optional Features:
- CONFIG_USER_NS: enabled
- CONFIG_SECCOMP: enabled
- CONFIG_SECCOMP_FILTER: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_PIDS: enabled
- CONFIG_MEMCG_SWAP: enabled
- CONFIG_MEMCG_SWAP_ENABLED: enabled
    (cgroup swap accounting is currently enabled)
- CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ: enabled
- CONFIG_CFQ_GROUP_IOSCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_BLK_CGROUP: enabled
- CONFIG_BLK_DEV_THROTTLING: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_PERF: enabled
- CONFIG_CGROUP_HUGETLB: missing
- CONFIG_NET_CLS_CGROUP: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_CGROUP_NET_PRIO: enabled
- CONFIG_CFS_BANDWIDTH: enabled
- CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_VS: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_IP_VS_NFCT: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_VS_PROTO_TCP: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_VS_PROTO_UDP: enabled
- CONFIG_IP_VS_RR: enabled (as module)
- CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX: enabled
- CONFIG_SECURITY_APPARMOR: enabled
- CONFIG_EXT4_FS: enabled
- CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL: enabled
- CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY: enabled
- Network Drivers:
  - "overlay":
    - CONFIG_VXLAN: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_BRIDGE_VLAN_FILTERING: enabled
      Optional (for encrypted networks):
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO: enabled
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_AEAD: enabled
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_GCM: enabled
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_SEQIV: enabled
      - CONFIG_CRYPTO_GHASH: enabled
      - CONFIG_XFRM: enabled
      - CONFIG_XFRM_USER: enabled (as module)
      - CONFIG_XFRM_ALGO: enabled (as module)
      - CONFIG_INET_ESP: enabled (as module)
      - CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT: enabled (as module)
  - "ipvlan":
    - CONFIG_IPVLAN: enabled (as module)
  - "macvlan":
    - CONFIG_MACVLAN: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_DUMMY: enabled (as module)
  - "ftp,tftp client in container":
    - CONFIG_NF_NAT_FTP: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_FTP: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_NF_NAT_TFTP: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_TFTP: enabled (as module)
- Storage Drivers:
  - "aufs":
    - CONFIG_AUFS_FS: enabled (as module)
  - "btrfs":
    - CONFIG_BTRFS_FS: enabled
    - CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL: enabled
  - "devicemapper":
    - CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM: enabled (as module)
    - CONFIG_DM_THIN_PROVISIONING: enabled (as module)
  - "overlay":
    - CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS: enabled
  - "zfs":
    - /dev/zfs: missing
    - zfs command: missing
    - zpool command: missing

Limits:
- /proc/sys/kernel/keys/root_maxkeys: 1000000

The above checking revealed that there are 4 modules 'missing' but as these are not in the 'GENERALLY NECESSARY' group or the 'Network Driver' sections, it should not matters as stated by the Microsoft document.

Does anyone have any experience in installing the Azure IoT Edge Runtime on the BeagleBone Green ? Hope you can share some experience with me.

Thanks in advance and sorry for this long message.

Best Regards,
Stony Kong

Tarmo

Apr 8, 2021, 8:57:46 AM4/8/21
to BeagleBoard
Hi!

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 4:25:10 PM UTC+3 Stony Kong wrote:
 moby-engine : Depends: moby-containerd (>= 1.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: moby-runc (>= 1.0.0~rc93) but it is not going to be installed

This tries to install some packages which fail to resolve their dependencies. I'd guess that either the packaging is done poorly, or the Debian your BBB is running is simply not compatible. Since the packages are emitted by Microsoft, there's not much productive you can do. You can try to build the things from scratch from source code, if feeling adventurous.

--
Tarmo

Stony Kong

Apr 12, 2021, 3:34:30 AM4/12/21
to BeagleBoard
Hi Tarmo,

Thank you for your reply.

As I am really new to BeagleBone and Linux, and so I guess it would be too adventurous for me to try.

Anyway, thanks again for your advices.

Best Regards,
Stony Kong