Pocketbeagle Techlab

P B

May 15, 2019, 9:41:06 AM5/15/19
to BeagleBoard
Good morning,

For the past two months I've been trying to learn how to use the BBB & PB using Derek Molloy's book.

I got pretty excited just being able to light a led and read a push button at the beginning of chapter 6.

But I've gotten stuck in chapter 6 where he introduces device-tree overlays because it seems those have been done away with in favor of uboot overlays.  It appears both of these are compiled the same way, but I've let myself get confused.

I found his updated video on gpio's but that also appears obsolete.

As a result I switched to trying to use the Pocketbeagle techcape to get unstuck, but I've been fighting with learning how to control pins and even work through the basic confirmation of functions.

I've tried loading the images from both techlab-workshop-2019-01-24 & bone-debian-buster-iot-armhf-2019-03-03-4gb.

I've been updating the kernel to Linux beaglebone 4.19.37-bone32 #1stretch PREEMPT Tue Apr 30 19:17:06 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux.

Afterwards I apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, git clone bb.org-overlays from RCN, and download the latest cloud9 examples from J Krider.

Unfortunate, for all of these methods the only led files are as listed in the posted screen shot.

beaglebone:green:usr0
beaglebone:green:usr1
beaglebone:green:usr2
beaglebone:green:usr3

No segment 7 files and no rgb files to use.

Maybe I'm just confused, but have been stuck here for a couple of weeks & have just been going back & forth between fighting the PB & BBB on the next steps.

I've searched the net extensively looking for additional resources but just end up working in circles.

Does anyone have any tips or any recommendations for learning resources to get over this hurdle?

Best Regards,

Patrick
Pocketbeagle tech lab led files.jpg

Dennis Lee Bieber

May 15, 2019, 11:41:28 AM5/15/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 15 May 2019 06:41:06 -0700 (PDT), P B
<mmmb...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>Good morning,
>
>For the past two months I've been trying to learn how to use the BBB & PB
>using Derek Molloy's book.

Which edition? The 2nd Edition has a January 2019 copyright, and should
have updated the device tree information for the newer u-Boot scheme.

Just skimmed through my copy and it looks like it is u-Boot DTB based
(and has actual PocketBeagle examples)

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com

P B

May 15, 2019, 12:08:24 PM5/15/19
to BeagleBoard
Thank you. I was working from 1st ed. 2nd ed ordered.

Best Regards

TJF

May 15, 2019, 1:42:40 PM5/15/19
to BeagleBoard

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2019 15:41:06 UTC+2 schrieb P B:
Does anyone have any tips or any recommendations for learning resources to get over this hurdle?

Check out libpruio and its online documentation. No device tree trouble, all settings in your code (single sourced).

Regards

Walter Cromer

May 15, 2019, 8:09:52 PM5/15/19
to BeagleBoard
I bought my copy as a Kindle book from Amazon.  It shows a publlication date of December 2018 and says Second Edition on the cover. But  I have the same learning curve and problem.   And, I can't seem to find the information about using UBoot in the book.  Would you be so kind as to share where that information is found?

Walter Cromer

May 15, 2019, 8:13:53 PM5/15/19
to BeagleBoard
I've made a lot of progress thanks to the Exploring Beaglebone book.  I am turning AC pumps and motors on with relays that I control from the digital outputs through opto-isolators.  But when I needed to read a water proof temperature probe, I got stuck.  I bought the DS18B20 and didn't comprehend it was Dallas single-wire interface.  I thought it was just a waterproof TMP36 which I was already reading successfully.

The examples for the DS18B20 are all pre-UBoot.(I'm running 4.4.14 now).  I compiled a device tree overlay but don't know how to get it loaded, where to put it so it gets loaded, what file to change and what the command should be to have it load on boot.  Is this all in the book somewhere?  If not, could you share a resource that would help me?

Jim F

May 15, 2019, 9:30:39 PM5/15/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We upgraded to 4.19, loaded the 1W dtb from /lib/firmware and things just work. I think it's looking for the 1 W interface to be on P9. 12 which works out to Gpio 1-28 which is also known as gpio 60. At this point it shows up under /sys/bus and "just works". Couldn't say that for 4.14 and I've no idea why.

Or there's a PRU-based approach which TJF can tell you about. Not sure what the difference between the two is, though we only use it for a single sensor. Maybe I'll try that out tomorrow.

Jim

Fred Kerr

May 16, 2019, 5:04:29 AM5/16/19
to BeagleBoard
Hello!

Thanks - I'm going to buy that book. It sounds like a good place for me to start. I've been looking to form some kind of local maker's group.

I'll see if I can contribute to answers to your questions soon.

Regards,
Fred Kerr

Walter Cromer

Walter Cromer

Robert Nelson

May 16, 2019, 3:26:45 PM5/16/19
to Beagle Board
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 2:11 PM Walter Cromer
<wal...@edenconceptsllc.com> wrote:

> Jim - Where did you find 4.19? I haven't found it anywhere so far!

https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh --ti-channel --lts-4_19

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Walter Cromer

May 16, 2019, 3:37:02 PM5/16/19
to BeagleBoard
Thanks, Robert!  This is for the x15 though, right?  I'm running a BB Black.   I'm assuming that this isn't compatible with the Black, right?

Walter

Jim F

May 16, 2019, 6:35:26 PM5/16/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
What Robert said is what we did. Upgraded to 4.19 that way, then added the existing dtb for 1 wire. The device s just show up in the /sys tree, can't remember exactly where. Maybe /sys/class/w1.

It was pretty easy, surprisingly so. The hard part is knowing that it didn't work on 4.14.

Jim

Robert Nelson

May 16, 2019, 6:50:19 PM5/16/19
to Beagle Board, wal...@edenconceptsllc.com
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 2:37 PM Walter Cromer
<wal...@edenconceptsllc.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Robert! This is for the x15 though, right? I'm running a BB Black. I'm assuming that this isn't compatible with the Black, right?

The "--ti-channel" is for all am35xx and am57xx based BeagleBoard.org products.

Walter Cromer

May 16, 2019, 7:26:32 PM5/16/19
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board
Thanks.   Now if I can just get my BBB connecting to the internet again!!!  it stopped two days ago and nothing I try corrects it!  It won't boot from eMMC either.

Thanks,

Walter Cromer
Chief Idea Officer & Founder
Eden Concepts LLC

Live. Grow. Harmonize.

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged, please immediately notify us by return e-mail and delete or destroy any copies, electronic, paper or otherwise, which you may have of this communication and any attachments.

Jason Kridner

Jun 10, 2019, 3:52:55 PM6/10/19
to BeagleBoard
Sorry for my delay in noticing this post. I hope you will read my below replies and see if it provides you with some success.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 8:41:06 AM UTC-5, P B wrote:
[...]

I suggest enabling a number of overlays via /boot/uEnv.txt via:

sudo sed -i -e "s/#?uboot_overlay_addr0=.*$/uboot_overlay_addr0=\/lib\/firmware\/PB-I2C2-ACCEL-TECHLAB-CAPE.dtbo/;" /boot/uEnv.txt
sudo sed -i -e "s/#?uboot_overlay_addr1=.*$/uboot_overlay_addr1=\/lib\/firmware\/PB-PWM-RGB-TECHLAB-CAPE.dtbo/;" /boot/uEnv.txt
sudo sed -i -e "s/#?uboot_overlay_addr2=.*$/uboot_overlay_addr2=\/lib\/firmware\/PB-SPI1-7SEG-TECHLAB-CAPE.dtbo/;" /boot/uEnv.txt
sudo sed -i -e "s/#?uboot_overlay_pru=.*RPROC.*$/uboot_overlay_pru=\/lib\/firmware\/AM335X-PRU-RPROC-4-14-TI-00A0.dtbo/;" /boot/uEnv.txt sudo shutdown -r now

Enabling the PB-PWM-RGB-TECHLAB-CAPE overlay should add 3 LEDs after the reboot is complete, techlab::red, techlab::green and techlab::blue.

Enabling the PB-SPI1-7SEG-TECHLAB-CAPE overlay should enable 16 more LEDs, techlab::seg*, where * is 0-15.

Doing a "dmesg > /var/lib/cloud9/dmesg.txt" and then copy-and-paste the contents of dmesg.txt here. Also, provide a copy-and-paste of /boot/uEnv.txt as well as the output of `sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh`. These will help in providing feedback on steps you might not be executing as intended.

Really sorry to hear you've been stuck for so long. If the responses here don't get you going, be sure to reach out to me under the instructions at https://beagleboard.org/support. I'm also 'jkridner' on the #beagle IRC channel.

I've searched the net extensively looking for additional resources but just end up working in circles.

Does anyone have any tips or any recommendations for learning resources to get over this hurdle?

Have you tried watching the e-ALE videos? They can be a bit advanced, but, if you are patient, you might pick up the missing piece to the puzzle.

Venkatesh Vadde

Jun 11, 2019, 10:26:26 AM6/11/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis,

I am also keen to move to the Pocket Beagle in the next month or so. Would Molloy's 2nd ed of EBB be the best resource on PB, or is there any other resource you would also recommend?

TIA,

Rgds.

Venkatesh Vadde

Jun 11, 2019, 10:34:22 AM6/11/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I think my previous query has many useful pointers from JKridner today. Just caught up with it, with gratitude.

Any other resource you would bring up for PB seekers like us for now, @JKridner?

Tx

Dennis Lee Bieber

Jun 11, 2019, 12:06:35 PM6/11/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 19:56:01 +0530, Venkatesh Vadde
<vva...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Hi Dennis,
>
>I am also keen to move to the Pocket Beagle in the next month or so. Would
>Molloy's 2nd ed of EBB be the best resource on PB, or is there any other
>resource you would also recommend?

Well, there is a Pocket Beagle on the cover... <G>

I've not looked to see if any other books have gone into 2nd editions
(or even 3rds).

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Venkatesh Vadde

Jun 11, 2019, 1:35:24 PM6/11/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. A cursory look at the 2nd edition of EBB from Molloy does seem to show generous doses of PB references, pin-maps and circuits for the PB. I would hazard to think it is the best we have yet on the PB.

P B

Jun 11, 2019, 9:36:19 PM6/11/19
to BeagleBoard
Thank you much for the response.

I picked up Derek Molloy's 2nd edition and it's getting me straightened out.

I'll play with the techlab again soon and will double check working through your suggestions.

I had been working through RCN's instruction on the wiki.

I did read through the presentation slides for the workshop and read through the info on e-ALE linked from the techlab cape page on beagleboard.

I don't think I have the minimum requisite skills yet for that level of instruction.  Very weak on coding.

Here's to ChE's learning EE-CS skills.

Again, thank you.

Best Regards,

Patrick

P B

Jun 11, 2019, 9:37:51 PM6/11/19
to BeagleBoard
Derek Molloy's 2nd edition is excellent and covers both PB and BBB explicitly with updated current methodology, i.e. uboot overlays.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:36 PM Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 19:56:01 +0530, Venkatesh Vadde
<vva...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Hi Dennis,
>
>I am also keen to move to the Pocket Beagle in the next month or so. Would
>Molloy's 2nd ed of EBB be the best resource on PB, or is there any other
>resource you would also recommend?

        Well, there is a Pocket Beagle on the cover... <G>

        I've not looked to see if any other books have gone into 2nd editions
(or even 3rds).

--
        Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
        wlf...@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

ama.ag...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 2:25:22 PM9/19/19
to BeagleBoard
Jason,

Can I address USB1 from techlab cap (USB Host A with power) by using /dev/ttyUSB1 ?

How could I address it?

Jason Kridner

Sep 19, 2019, 4:07:38 PM9/19/19
to BeagleBoard
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 2:25:22 PM UTC-4, ama.ag...@gmail.com wrote:
Jason,

Can I address USB1 from techlab cap (USB Host A with power) by using /dev/ttyUSB1 ?

/dev/ttyUSBx is for USB-based UARTs.  If you connected a USB-based UART to that port, then yes.

How could I address it?

In Linux, drivers are loaded automatically based on USB classes defined by the USB device. Accessing the device depends on the device type.

The USB host cannot be used to create "gadget" or "slave" devices, but the USB0 can.

ama FTCompany

Sep 20, 2019, 12:13:35 PM9/20/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

I try to use the latest image from beagleboard.org for pocket beagle Octavo.

After bootup, I try to do the loopback test on UART0, TX<--->RX

screen /dev/ttyO0

but I suppose to input text from keyboard, and screen should display the output. but nothing happen, and I could not exit from the command line, even by ctrl+z, ctrl+c.

The ultimate target I try to use the UART0 or UART4 to communicate with RF module SX868, which has the UART as well.

But I failed, So I try to test the pocket beagel first, it looks like it has issue.

Please help to check

Aaron Ma
Houston, TX

ama FTCompany

Sep 20, 2019, 12:13:41 PM9/20/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jason,

I use the pocket beagle as Microcontroller to controller a external RF module.

I am not using PC to connect with pocket beagle.

The configuration:

Pocket Beagle .TechLab Cape.USB A port<--->> External RF module. USB B port

Thank you

Aaron

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:27 PM ama FTCompany <ama.ag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear jason,

First of all, Thank for your information.

I use the Techlab workshop image for Pocket beagle , and through TechLab Capes USB A port and connect to a USB based UART,
inside the linux running on the pocket beagle, I could not find /dev/ttyUSB*,

However, I use the Raspberry Pi 3B, inside the linux system, I could find the /dev/ttyUSBx.

What is the right image to contain the /dev/ttyUSBx?

Or do I have to configure something to let the Linux inside the pocket beagle to show up the /dev/ttyUSBx?

Thanks

Aaron Ma

Jason Kridner

Sep 20, 2019, 12:24:05 PM9/20/19
to BeagleBoard

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 12:13:35 PM UTC-4, ama FTCompany wrote:
Jason,

I try to use the latest image from beagleboard.org for pocket beagle Octavo.

After bootup, I try to do the loopback test on UART0, TX<--->RX

screen /dev/ttyO0

Can you provide better background on what you've wired-up? Just short P1.29 and P1.31?

UART0, by default, will host the console, so Linux has a tty open on it. If you want to test a simple loop-back, you might be better off using UART4.

Otherwise, shut down the getty on ttyS0. I forget the exact, but something like:

sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0

but I suppose to input text from keyboard, and screen should display the output. but nothing happen, and I could not exit from the command line, even by ctrl+z, ctrl+c.

Where is your shell? Logged in via Cloud9 IDE? To stop screen, you need to use CTRL+A, q.

The ultimate target I try to use the UART0 or UART4 to communicate with RF module SX868, which has the UART as well.

Cool. That should be pretty straight-forward.

But I failed, So I try to test the pocket beagel first, it looks like it has issue.

Please help to check

We'll get you there.

Showing up on https://beagleboard.org/chat might be good for some live help. Ping me, 'jkridner'.

Aaron Ma