Hidden partitions???

Subodh

Mar 6, 2020, 12:30:32 PM3/6/20
to BeagleBoard
I created /testData and /home/Debian/testData directories and files (read/writable by all) on uSD card while running on BBB to save some data.

After graceful shutdown, when I mount the uSD card on Ubuntu, I don't see those directories or files. But if I bring up BBB again then I can see them again.

My Ubuntu is set to auto-mount (I believe vfat and ext3/4 etc)

Same behavior for directories or files under /boot. It almost seems like on Ubuntu, I am seeing different partition than on the BBB. This may be a feature for protecting newbies - like me. But I would like to learn how to expose and modify the partition or files created on BBB micro-sd card consistently on Ubuntu.

I am using Rev C Black. Same perplexing behavior for 4.4.54 or 4.14.latest releases. I reviewed past posts here. Something changed about 2 years ago.

My apologies if the category isn't right, and thank you for your time.

Hugo van den Brand

Mar 6, 2020, 2:02:09 PM3/6/20
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you are mounting folders in your /boot and /home directories on the BBB which you don't mount if you just mount the SD card in ubuntu.

On your BBB you could use the mount command to show currently mounted partitions.
Then you can try to mount the same ones in ubuntu.

Jim F

Mar 6, 2020, 5:26:09 PM3/6/20
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020, 2:02 PM Hugo van den Brand <h.vd....@gmail.com> wrote:
It sounds like you are mounting folders in your /boot and /home directories on the BBB which you don't mount if you just mount the SD card in ubuntu.

On your BBB you could use the mount command to show currently mounted partitions.
Then you can try to mount the same ones in ubuntu.

That's a possibility. You could look at /etc/fstab to see if things are mounted in weird places.

Much more likely is that you're booting from your mmc card instead of your SD card. Which means that the data you are looking for is actually on the mmc. If you run df it will tell you where your positions are mounted (on which device).

Jim

Subodh

Mar 16, 2020, 5:33:25 AM3/16/20
to BeagleBoard
Apologize for responding late.

It was my mistake. The board was booting from on-board memory.

Thank you for pointing that.