BeagleBone AI is here!

Jason Kridner

Sep 19, 2019, 8:02:00 AM9/19/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

BeagleBoard.org® Launches BeagleBone® AI, Offering a Fast Track to Getting Started with Artificial Intelligence at the Edge

ROCHESTER, Mich., Sept.19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The BeagleBoard.org® Foundation today announces general availability of the newest, fastest, most powerful BeagleBoard.org® BeagleBone® low cost development board yet, and it’s driving a whole new AI revolution. Built on our proven open source Linux approach, BeagleBone® AI fills the gap between small single board computers (SBCs) and more powerful industrial computers. Leveraging the Texas Instruments Sitara™ AM5729 processor, developers have access to powerful machine learning capabilities with the ease of the BeagleBone® Black header and mechanical compatibility.

BeagleBone® AI makes it easy to explore how artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning can be used in everyday life. Through BeagleBone® AI, developers can take advantage of the TI C66x digital-signal-processor (DSP) cores and embedded-vision-engine (EVE) cores on the Sitara AM5729 processor. Machine learning is supported by an optimized TI Deep Learning (TIDL) software framework and pre-installed software tools. Downloading and running the latest examples of edge inference algorithms and applications is only a few clicks away.

This board is the answer to our community’s request to see the next major advancement in the BeagleBone® family” says Jason Kridner, co-founder of the BeagleBoard.org® Foundation. “Its feature set is jam packed and offers capabilities unparalleled by any other single board computer, open hardware or not.”

BeagleBone® AI has a feature set that includes:

  • BeagleBone® Black mechanical and header compatibility

    • Works with existing BeagleBoard.org® BeagleBone® cape add-on boards and many available third-party cape add-on boards and enclosures

  • 1GB RAM and 16GB on-board eMMC flash with a high-speed interface

  • USB Type-C for power and superspeed dual-role controller; and USB Type-A host

  • Gigabit Ethernet, 2.4/5GHz WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.2/BLE

  • microHDMI video and audio output

  • Zero-download out-of-box software experience

  • TI Sitara™ AM5729 processor with:

    • Dual 1.5GHz Arm® Cortex®-A15 microprocessor subsystem

    • 2 C66x Floating-Point VLIW DSPs

    • 4 Embedded Vision Engines (EVEs) supported by the TIDL software framework library for machine learning

    • 2x Dual-Core Programmable Real-Time Unit (PRU) subsystems (4 PRUs total) for ultra-low latency control and software generated peripherals

    • 2x Dual Arm® Cortex®-M4 co-processors for real-time control and subsystem management

    • IVA-HD subsystem with support for 4K at 15fps H.264 encode/decode and other codecs at 1080p60

    • Vivante® GC320 2D graphics accelerator

    • Dual-Core PowerVR® SGX544™ 3D GPU

We believe this board will excel in everyday automation in industrial, commercial and home applications” stated Christine Long, Executive Director of the BeagleBoard.org® Foundation. “And at an extremely competitive price point we’ve made this board available to everyone. It’s an industry game changer.”

BeagleBone® AI is available to buy as a standalone board, heat sink and antenna included, from BeagleBoard.org’s® key distribution partners. Visit http://beaglebone.ai.

For information about BeagleBoard.org® Foundation, contact Christine Long, Executive Director, at chr...@beagleboard.org

BeagleBoard.org® and BeagleBone® are registered trademarks of the BeagleBoard.org® Foundation, a 501c3 US-based non-profit corporation

Sitara is a trademark of Texas Instruments

--
https://beagleboard.org/about - a 501c3 non-profit educating around open hardware computing

Mala Dies

Sep 19, 2019, 6:16:19 PM9/19/19
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I saw that yesterday online at Mouser. Today, the email showed up. Nice!

Seth

P.S. I think you guys out-did yourselves. We shall see. Time to save a bit and then splurge on a nice, new board. Yea boy!

William Hermans

Sep 20, 2019, 8:02:31 AM9/20/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Mine is on the way.

RaulRa...@outlook.com

Sep 20, 2019, 12:13:55 PM9/20/19
to BeagleBoard
Went to Mouser and bought one!

Now to teach that AI to make me more money...

ser...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2019, 2:07:17 PM11/5/19
to BeagleBoard
Just bought one from Mouser few days ago, and experiencing overheating issue when startup, anyone else having the same problem?

Richard Krehbiel

Nov 6, 2019, 8:51:31 AM11/6/19
to BeagleBoard

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 2:07:17 PM UTC-5, ser...@gmail.com wrote:
Just bought one from Mouser few days ago, and experiencing overheating issue when startup, anyone else having the same problem?

Pretty much everyone is having this issue.  I put a fan on mine, it keeps it below 60°C .

(I carefully pried off the mounted heatsink, and stuck this on.)

William Hermans

Nov 6, 2019, 12:03:48 PM11/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
All you need is some air flow over the board/heatsinks. I just stick mine in front of a 20" box fan and it's fine. I'd assume a much smaller house fan would work fine as well.

Robert Forsyth

Nov 6, 2019, 3:43:58 PM11/6/19
to BeagleBoard

Several people updated their OS and the overheating started (the processor speed slow down on high temp stops working, maybe).

KenUnix

Apr 19, 2020, 11:44:49 AM4/19/20
to BeagleBoard
I have been informed the  RLYCPE-BBBCAPE 4 relay cape originally made for the BeagleBone Black
is not compatible with the AI. Is there someone who could verify this?