Multiple USB Cameras on BBB

Mujin

May 29, 2017, 9:00:47 PM5/29/17
to BeagleBoard
We have been struggling to get more than one USB based board camera functioning simultaneously,
We have an external Powered USB hub with the cameras hooked to it.
We can use each of the cameras one at a time but cannot have them all streaming so we can switch between them quickly.
This same code base functions as expected on the RPi

We are getting the error
"Error: CAMERA ERROR [VIDIOC_STREAMON] 28 No space left on device"

The Cameras are
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFQK1Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Robert Nelson

May 29, 2017, 9:16:00 PM5/29/17
to Beagle Board
On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Mujin <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have been struggling to get more than one USB based board camera
> functioning simultaneously,
> We have an external Powered USB hub with the cameras hooked to it.
> We can use each of the cameras one at a time but cannot have them all
> streaming so we can switch between them quickly.
> This same code base functions as expected on the RPi
>
> We are getting the error
> "Error: CAMERA ERROR [VIDIOC_STREAMON] 28 No space left on device"

This means there is not enough USB bandwidth for the additional device.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Mujin

May 31, 2017, 3:06:03 PM5/31/17
to BeagleBoard
Agreed. This is the meaning of the error message.

However, There is no reason a USB camera is assigned the entire bandwidth of the USB bus. This seems to be the problem.

Also of special note is how the same code works fine on the RPi

Additionally, in our application we only need to take snapshots. We are only streaming due to the latency involved in setting the camera up to capture an image rather than just plucking an image from an ongoing stream (admittedly a less than desirable approach).