unable to compile linux kernel on windows XP usinf codesourcery tools

kalyani

Oct 1, 2008, 8:50:07 AM10/1/08
to Beagle Board
Hi,
I am a newbie and have just got my board.
I use my HP laptop for development activities and it runs on windows
xp (shipped with it).
I donot want to switch to linux yet as i have a lot of data on this
laptop that i dont want to loose.

I downloaded and installed latest GIT, and Sourcery G++ Lite 2008q1
for windows xp
I have also downloaded the latest linux sources using git
I now want to compile the linux kernel using cs-make tool.
I am getting the following error.

C:\Kalyani\OMap3\linux-omap-2.6.git>cs-make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-
linux-gnueabi
- distclean
'uname' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
-x was unexpected at this time.
Makefile:1180: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

C:\Kalyani\OMap3\linux-omap-2.6.git>

Could anyone please help me in how to go forward from here.
Thank you very much
Regards,
Kalyani

Dan Poirot

Oct 5, 2008, 3:58:47 PM10/5/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
You bet... Get away from Windows the easy way...

Get the VMware player from my favorite download site:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_vmware_player/

Grab a Debian-based (such as Ubuntu 8.0.4) distro virtual appliance
from bagside.com:
http://www.bagside.com/bagvapp/index.html
http://174.36.1.2/ubu8.7z

Start following along with the rest of the class.

- dan

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:50 AM, kalyani <teliki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a newbie and have just got my board.
> I use my HP laptop for development activities and it runs on windows
> xp (shipped with it).

> I do not want to switch to linux yet as i have a lot of data on this

> laptop that i dont want to loose.

[tail of woe removed]

Guo Tang

Oct 5, 2008, 6:16:14 PM10/5/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Another solution might be this (like what I am doing right now):

Buy a USB external hard drive, install Linux there. Choose boot from
USB drive when you want to work on beagle. A self power USB hard drive
might be better. I fould my USB powered drive cannot always be detected by
BIOS (There seems be a timing issue before disk power supply from USB can
be stablized and BIOS is ready to give user boot option).

Guo

John Beetem

Oct 5, 2008, 8:52:27 PM10/5/08
to Beagle Board
I've been developing BeagleBoard application programs using Cygwin
under Windows 2000. However, I would not try compiling a Linux kernel
under Windows. I like Guo's suggestion of using a separate boot drive
for Linux so that you can leave your Windows system intact.

I suggest using CodeSourcery version 2007q3 instead of 2008q1, as
recommended by http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Cortex_A8_ARM. Also,
there are some useful hints for compiling application programs using
Windows/Cygwin on the FAQ: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardFAQ#Windows.2FCygwin_.231.