BeagleBone Black CAN Bus Cape

cpe.3...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2019, 7:38:27 AM2/22/19
to BeagleBoard

Hi.

I have a project idea that involves using the BeagleBone Black CAN bus controller. I found this cape on e-linux https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_CANBus but then I realized it is discontinued long time ago, most distributors have it out of stock or discontinued. Is there any alternatives to this cape?

Gwen Stouthuysen

Feb 22, 2019, 8:44:10 AM2/22/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It all depends how handy you are and the quantity you need.

A CAN tranceiver is a very simple device, it requires power (2 sides), has two pins for process conenction (CAN-High and CAN-Low) and two pins for µC connection (TX & RX)

If you need only one/some you can easily build this using prototyping boards and wires.
If you need more you better design a PCB and assemble the components.

Best is to start from the simple prototyping and evolve.

The Beagle CAN processing is rather easy and works almost immediatly.

Regards,
Gwen

Op vr 22 feb. 2019 om 13:38 schreef <cpe.3...@gmail.com>:

Hi.

I have a project idea that involves using the BeagleBone Black CAN bus controller. I found this cape on e-linux https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_CANBus but then I realized it is discontinued long time ago, most distributors have it out of stock or discontinued. Is there any alternatives to this cape?

Robert Nelson

Feb 22, 2019, 9:56:11 AM2/22/19
to Beagle Board, Abdallah Al-Dalleh
On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 6:38 AM <cpe.3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a project idea that involves using the BeagleBone Black CAN bus controller. I found this cape on e-linux https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_CANBus but then I realized it is discontinued long time ago, most distributors have it out of stock or discontinued. Is there any alternatives to this cape?

Take a look at the Comms Cape:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=COMCPE-BBBCAPE-ND

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

cpe.3...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2019, 11:52:01 AM2/22/19
to BeagleBoard
Thanks for the reply. I just realized some DIY projects such as this one https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Beaglebone-CAN-Bus-Cape/ and it seems very straightforward. Just to be clear, the hardware side is just the 4 wires, TX/RX and CAN-H/CAN-L right?