BBAI connection problem on windows 8.1 pc

haydar

Sep 9, 2020, 5:17:54 PM9/9/20
to BeagleBoard
I recently bought a BBAI board. I did not use any beagle board before.
After connecting the board to a 64 bit 8.1 PC I tried to connect to 192.168.7.2 with no luck.

Device manager shows four new devices.

One of the devices is BEAGLEBONE under portable devices and is working properly. I can access the BeagleBone Getting Started volume in the windows explorer too.

Two of the devices are "CDC ECM" and "CDC Serial" under Other Devices. For both of the devices Device manager reports "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device.". Windows fails to update the driver. Neither automatic search nor browsing the BeagleBone volume helped. I also downloaded the recent Getting Started volume contents from https://github.com/jadonk/beaglebone-getting-started. It did not help either.

The last device is Remote NDIS Compatible Device under Network Adapters. Its status says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". I tried all mentioned above for this one too. Windows, instead of failing, determines that the driver is up to date. But the status of the device stays the same.

I tried the board in a 64 bit windows 7 PC. There, CDC ECM and CDC Serial are again failing, but a properly working RNDIS device shows. And the PC can connect to 192.168.7.2 and Cloud9 IDE interface. But I cannot use this PC permanently.

Can anyone help me to resolve this?

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 9, 2020, 6:49:16 PM9/9/20
to Beagleboard
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:17:54 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user haydar
<thaydart-Re5JQE...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>Two of the devices are "CDC ECM" and "CDC Serial" under Other Devices. For

M$ does not support CDC at all... These are the Mac compatible ports.

>The last device is Remote NDIS Compatible Device under Network Adapters.
>Its status says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot
>load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". I tried all
>mentioned above for this one too. Windows, instead of failing, determines
>that the driver is up to date. But the status of the device stays the same.

What happens if you delete the driver for that device, maybe delete the
device, disconnect the beagle, and reboot... Then reconnect the beagle.

>I tried the board in a 64 bit windows 7 PC. There, CDC ECM and CDC Serial
>are again failing, but a properly working RNDIS device shows. And the PC
>can connect to 192.168.7.2 and Cloud9 IDE interface. But I cannot use this
>PC permanently.

What driver files/versions are show for it?

How does it compare to the W8.1 version?

There is also
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/168685-how-to-download-and-install-windows-8-1-for-free
"""
You can still qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you own a valid
Windows 8.1 license, despite the fact that Microsoft formally ended its
upgrade program five years ago.
"""

Unfortunately, Win8 falls into that category of being the
"mistake"/transition OS...

Win95
Win98
WinME <- who remembers that
WinXP
WinVista <- same comment
Win7
Win8
Win10

--
Dennis L Bieber

haydar

Sep 10, 2020, 12:13:15 PM9/10/20
to BeagleBoard

Thank you for the quick response.

Thanks for the info on CDC devices.

I deleted the driver and then reconnected the device a number of times.
The BBAI gets the power from the USB already, so there aren't many combinations anyway.

I didn't compare the Win7 drivers with mine. I will though.

I was really hoping this is a known issue which has a quick fix, but it does not seem that way.
I was already thinking to switch to Win10 for a while.
Thank you for the link.
I will seek a more conservative solution first.

Thank you again.

Haydar Karci