debian: test images (2014-01-10)

Robert Nelson

Jan 10, 2014, 5:11:09 PM1/10/14
to Beagle Board
It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
something... ;)

First, for tracking please report all bugs to:
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

So go forward and test the first "beta" release. There are 3 files on
the web server, depending on what you want to do. Using the same
standard procedure found here:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Updating_The_Software

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/

An eMMC "flasher" which can be installed to any 2GB or greater microSD
card. [BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz
5cb3f88ae14cbcb94604786484f96309
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz

It takes about 10-15 Minutes to dd microSD (2GB), 15 minutes to flash
eMMC (look for full 4 LED's)

4GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 4GB or greater.
[bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz

It takes about 20-30 Minutes to dd microSD (4GB)

Finally one of my classic "setup_sdcard.sh".
[debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz
526adb40799a8e060df020ed1cd47c12 debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz

Note for users who use my classic "setup_sdcard.sh" script, here is
the magic options to get the beaglebone project files + systemd.

sudo ./setup_sdcard.sh --mmc /dev/sdX --uboot bone
--beagleboard.org-production --enable-systemd

To "rebuild"
git clone git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git
cd image-builder
git checkout bb.org-v2014.01.10 -b tmp
./beagleboard.org_image.sh

Thoughts/rants/list/etc?

Go Test!

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Jan 10, 2014, 5:13:17 PM1/10/14
to Beagle Board

David Lambert

Jan 10, 2014, 6:09:53 PM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2014 04:11 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:

> 4GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 4GB or greater.
> [bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz]
>
> http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
> 096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
>
> It takes about 20-30 Minutes to dd microSD (4GB)

OK It only took my system a tad over 8 minutes to a Transcend 8G SD:
time xzcat
/home/dlambert/downloads/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz | dd
bs=10M of=/dev/sdc
0+345858 records in
0+345858 records out
3932160000 bytes (3.9 GB) copied, 493.82 s, 8.0 MB/s

real 8m13.823s
user 0m38.910s
sys 0m6.756s

First impressions great, came right up systemd, avahi, etc. I will keep
on testing over the weekend.

BTW is the kernel the same as the default in
git://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev.git?

Any hints yet on how to handle pinmux GPIO etc. now that capemgr is not
yet there?

Regards,

Dave.

dave.vcf

David Lambert

Jan 10, 2014, 6:25:05 PM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2014 04:11 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
> beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
> something... ;)
>
> First, for tracking please report all bugs to:
> http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

OK I registered, but awaiting approval. In the meantime, I got the
following:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
[ 0.369399] omap2_mbox_probe: platform not supported
[ 0.526579] tps65217-bl tps65217-bl: no platform data provided
[ 0.591595] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #0: No cape found
[ 0.628702] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #1: No cape found
[ 0.665810] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #2: No cape found
[ 0.702918] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #3: No cape found
[ 0.718940] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: BB-BONELT-HDMIN
conflict P8.45 (#5:BB-BONELT-HDMI)
[ 0.728585] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: Failed verification
[ 0.735360] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: loader: failed to load
slot-6 BB-BONELT-HDMIN:00A0 (prio 2)
[ 0.752808] omap_hsmmc mmc.5: of_parse_phandle_with_args of 'reset'
failed
[ 0.814570] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin 44e10854 already
requested by 44e10800.pinmux; cannot claim for gpio-leds.8
[ 0.826308] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin-21 (gpio-leds.8)
status -22
[ 0.833623] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: could not request pin 21
on device pinctrl-single

Don't know whether this is a bug or not, but I am also a bit confused as
I thought the capemgr was not yet in 3.13....?

Dave.

dave.vcf

Robert Nelson

Jan 10, 2014, 6:36:47 PM1/10/14
to Beagle Board
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, David Lambert <da...@lambsys.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 04:11 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
>>

>> 4GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 4GB or greater.
>> [bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz]
>>

>> http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
>> 096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
>>
>> It takes about 20-30 Minutes to dd microSD (4GB)
>>
> OK It only took my system a tad over 8 minutes to a Transcend 8G SD:

Should i also push out a 8GB image? it's all zero's and it just
compresses very well..

> time xzcat /home/dlambert/downloads/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz |
> dd bs=10M of=/dev/sdc
> 0+345858 records in
> 0+345858 records out
> 3932160000 bytes (3.9 GB) copied, 493.82 s, 8.0 MB/s
>
> real 8m13.823s
> user 0m38.910s
> sys 0m6.756s
>
> First impressions great, came right up systemd, avahi, etc. I will keep on
> testing over the weekend.
>
> BTW is the kernel the same as the default in
> git://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev.git?

specifially: 3.8.13-bone35

> Any hints yet on how to handle pinmux GPIO etc. now that capemgr is not yet
> there?

By default it's still 3.8 so that all books/guides/etc written for
Angstrom work.. Down the road it'll be v3.13..

Regards,

Robert Nelson

Jan 10, 2014, 6:37:44 PM1/10/14
to Beagle Board
That same error occurs on angstrom's 3.8.. HDMI no audio is trying to
load on top of hdmi with audio...

Regards,

David Lambert

Jan 10, 2014, 6:52:35 PM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2014 05:36 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:

> Should i also push out a 8GB image? it's all zero's and it just
> compresses very well..

I know but I think most of the time is writing to the SD, so it would be
nice if there was a good way to resize the root using parted or something?
> specifially: 3.8.13-bone35
>
>> Any hints yet on how to handle pinmux GPIO etc. now that capemgr is not yet
>> there?
> By default it's still 3.8 so that all books/guides/etc written for
> Angstrom work.. Down the road it'll be v3.13..
Yes, I know how to do that on 3.8, but I'm lost with 3.13. Looks like I
will have to roll my own pinmux for now to get the USB improvements ;)
Regards,

dave.vcf

David Lambert

Jan 10, 2014, 7:14:21 PM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2014 05:52 PM, David Lambert wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 05:36 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Should i also push out a 8GB image? it's all zero's and it just
>> compresses very well..
>>
> I know but I think most of the time is writing to the SD, so it would
> be nice if there was a good way to resize the root using parted or
> something?
I just used parted - it worked fine:
root@beaglebone:~# df
rootfs 7537984 1220976 5930864 18% /
udev 10240 0 10240 0% /dev
tmpfs 101464 548 100916 1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7537984 1220976 5930864 18% /
tmpfs 253652 0 253652 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 253652 0 253652 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 102400 0 102400 0% /run/user
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1 98094 70260 27834 72% /boot/uboot
dave.vcf

David Lambert

Jan 11, 2014, 8:40:01 AM1/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2014 04:11 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
> beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
> something... ;)
>
> First, for tracking please report all bugs to:
> http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

Still not confirmed on the bug tracker, but I see this panic on halt:

root@beaglebone:~# halt

Broadcast message from root@beaglebone (ttyO0) (Fri Jan 10 17:17:21 2014):
The system is going down for system halt NOW!
root@beaglebone:~# Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Sending SIGKILL to remaining processes...
Unmounting file systems.
Unmounted /sys/fs/fuse/connections.
Unmounted /dev/mqueue.
Unmounted /sys/kernel/debug.
Unmounted /sys/kernel/security.
Disabling swaps.
Detaching loop devices.
Detaching DM devices.
[ 40.057138] (NULL device *): gadget not registered.
[ 40.072972] Power down.
[ 40.079180] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000000
[ 40.079180]
[ 40.088830] [<c0013270>] (unwind_backtrace+0x0/0xe0) from
[<c0630514>] (panic+0x84/0x1e0)
[ 40.097438] [<c0630514>] (panic+0x84/0x1e0) from [<c0040364>]
(do_exit+0x470/0x88c)
[ 40.105501] [<c0040364>] (do_exit+0x470/0x88c) from [<c004ed30>]
(sys_reboot+0x128/0x1b4)
[ 40.114106] [<c004ed30>] (sys_reboot+0x128/0x1b4) from [<c000d580>]
(ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x30)
[ 40.123242] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text
console

Regards,

Dave.

dave.vcf

Michael Long

Jan 11, 2014, 5:37:51 PM1/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Is this beta specifically for the Beaglebones or should it work on the Beagleboard xM?  I tried the setup_sdcard.sh method, substituting "--uboot beagle_xm", but the resulting card didn't get very far in the boot process.

  -Michael

Robert Nelson

Jan 11, 2014, 6:03:16 PM1/11/14
to Beagle Board
On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Michael Long <nik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this beta specifically for the Beaglebones or should it work on the
> Beagleboard xM? I tried the setup_sdcard.sh method, substituting "--uboot
> beagle_xm", but the resulting card didn't get very far in the boot process.

Just the BeagleBone... The 'script' supports many different boards,
however this image only contains the kernel for the BeagleBone..

The "xM" is already fully supported here:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Demo_Image

This beta is specifically addressing:
http://beagleboard.org/blog/2014-01-04-happy-new-year/

Regards,

Walter Schilling

Jan 12, 2014, 10:55:49 PM1/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert:

Downloaded this build and have started playing with it.  So far so good.  That being said, I'm running into a slight issue.  I've got a small issue that I'm not sure how to fix with Debian.  I'm using the LCD7 with the black, and it is out of calibration.  On the angstrom image, there was a calibration tool I could run, but I'm not seeing on the Debian port.  Am I missing something obvious or just being clueless about how to do this with Debian?

Robert Nelson

Jan 13, 2014, 10:00:51 AM1/13/14
to Beagle Board
On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Walter Schilling <schi...@msoe.edu> wrote:
> Robert:
>
> Downloaded this build and have started playing with it. So far so good.
> That being said, I'm running into a slight issue. I've got a small issue
> that I'm not sure how to fix with Debian. I'm using the LCD7 with the
> black, and it is out of calibration. On the angstrom image, there was a
> calibration tool I could run, but I'm not seeing on the Debian port. Am I
> missing something obvious or just being clueless about how to do this with
> Debian?

xinput
( http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xinput )

Is installed by default, i just don't have it setup yet to run when
the system detects an lcd..

Robert Nelson

Jan 13, 2014, 11:06:04 AM1/13/14
to Beagle Board
Just added this as:
http://bugs.elinux.org/issues/39

(i'm not sure how to approve people to the bug tracker either..)

I can confirm the issue on my board too..

However, since the board does actually shutdown. (5volt 0amps) I think
we'll just leave that bug. wonder if it exists in 3.13-rc8?

Regards,

Bas Laarhoven

Jan 13, 2014, 11:30:15 AM1/13/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
FYI: I've been getting the same oops (other adresses, same symbols) with
Angstrom for ages.
Since it seems to shut down properly and doesn't cause any fs issues,
I've ignored it thus far.

-- Bas

David Lambert

Jan 13, 2014, 1:55:48 PM1/13/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Just tried a quick test on 3.13-rc8 - no panic, but no shutdown either!

Regards,

> Regards,

dave.vcf

Robert Nelson

Jan 13, 2014, 2:17:49 PM1/13/14
to Beagle Board

> Just tried a quick test on 3.13-rc8 - no panic, but no shutdown either!

and no xorg...

been hacking on it all morning.. regression from v3.12.x

Louis McCarthy

Jan 15, 2014, 10:05:28 AM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all of your hard work Robert!

Not sure if this is really a "bug" or more of a optimization.

I downloaded and installed (via Win32 Disk Imager) the eMMC Flasher to a 4 Gb Kingston card. When I booted the new card on a BBB A5A, it loaded all the way into the GUI, performed the rsync, and then the lights went solid.

My question is, is it necessary to boot the flasher all the way into the GUI? It may shave a couple minutes off of the "flash" time by limiting the run level.

Another interesting note, is that once the rsync is done and the lights all go solid, the GUI is still responsive and usable. I guess I was assuming that it would go to a halt state. Once again, not a problem, just a comment.

On to the live tests.....
Louis

Robert Nelson

Jan 15, 2014, 10:23:59 AM1/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Louis McCarthy <comp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all of your hard work Robert!
>
> Not sure if this is really a "bug" or more of a optimization.
>
> I downloaded and installed (via Win32 Disk Imager) the eMMC Flasher to a 4
> Gb Kingston card. When I booted the new card on a BBB A5A, it loaded all the
> way into the GUI, performed the rsync, and then the lights went solid.
>
> My question is, is it necessary to boot the flasher all the way into the
> GUI? It may shave a couple minutes off of the "flash" time by limiting the
> run level.

Well, I guess we could get a little more creative with the image.
I've kept to really simple... Right now the only difference between
the dd/microSD image with the dd/flasher is one file in the boot
partition..

/boot/uboot/flash-eMMC.txt

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/scripts_device/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L56

Otherwise the biggest cpu hog was actually the screensaver. (xorg/lxde
wasn't too resource intensive..)

Which i've now disabled by default:

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/commit/6fe60d9a2f28d8f9f28747fd05f3cb0c96ef61ed

So when i push out new image this week, it should shave a few more
minutes.. (even without that change it's still not the 45 minutes it
took Angstrom.. ;) )

> Another interesting note, is that once the rsync is done and the lights all
> go solid, the GUI is still responsive and usable. I guess I was assuming
> that it would go to a halt state. Once again, not a problem, just a comment.

Do we want it to "halt" ? I wish we could "eject" the microSD, as if
we halt, the user is just probably going to hit the power button and
the flash starts all over..

Regards,

Louis McCarthy

Jan 15, 2014, 11:13:09 AM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for simple.

I wan't going to mention the screen saver, but now that you did, I think that is a good call. The other option would be to extend the delay to 15 minutes, instead of disabling it entirely, but I would rather see it disabled.

Yeah, no complaints from me compared to the Angstrom eMMC flasher :)

If nothing is being written to the uSD, then a halt is not necessary. I would just go with whatever would be the most reliable/simple.

Louis

Robert Nelson

Jan 15, 2014, 11:19:19 AM1/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Louis McCarthy <comp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm all for simple.
>
> I wan't going to mention the screen saver, but now that you did, I think
> that is a good call. The other option would be to extend the delay to 15
> minutes, instead of disabling it entirely, but I would rather see it
> disabled.

The screensaver was also causing an annoying 'flash' for me, as lxde
seems to fully loaded about 2 seconds before ntp would get the updated
time info. (thus turning on the screen saver..)

> Yeah, no complaints from me compared to the Angstrom eMMC flasher :)
>
> If nothing is being written to the uSD, then a halt is not necessary. I
> would just go with whatever would be the most reliable/simple.

Yeah once the led flash full, we are 100% done with the eMMC, it's
fully synced/umounted/etc. Pretty much safe to just yank power and
pull out the microSD with no ill effects to the eMMC..

Louis McCarthy

Jan 15, 2014, 11:22:24 AM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am awaiting approval in the bug tracker, but I saw your comment related to Wicd/Connman. If I remember correctly, there were issues with multiple connections (wired and wireless) and DHCP (only assigned an IP to the first adapter) with connman. Not sure if those were resolved.

Louis

Robert Nelson

Jan 15, 2014, 11:32:42 AM1/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Louis McCarthy <comp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am awaiting approval in the bug tracker, but I saw your comment related to
> Wicd/Connman. If I remember correctly, there were issues with multiple
> connections (wired and wireless) and DHCP (only assigned an IP to the first
> adapter) with connman. Not sure if those were resolved.

Yuck that's even worse.. I'd like to find something that'll work with
both networks..

Here's a version of connman i'm thinking of replacing wicd with:

http://rcn-ee.net/pkgs/connman/connman_1.15/connman_1.15-0ubuntu2_armhf.deb

another option is network-manager, but like some gtk apps it's
randomly locking.. (i might have a fix, just need to test it..)

Louis McCarthy

Jan 15, 2014, 11:53:14 AM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have wicd showing wireless networks now....

You need to go to the Preferences and enter "wlan0" into the Wireless interface section of the "General Settings" tab.

I'm still testing, but it appears to connect to the internet.

Robert Nelson

Jan 15, 2014, 11:56:11 AM1/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Louis McCarthy <comp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have wicd showing wireless networks now....
>
> You need to go to the Preferences and enter "wlan0" into the Wireless
> interface section of the "General Settings" tab.

Yeah, i had tried that too today.. For some reason my Atheros adapter
is just acting up. I have a few dozen more at home i could test.

> I'm still testing, but it appears to connect to the internet.

Cool, maybe we'll keep wicd.. It has all the fancy gui setting so end
users can easily configure it. Please let me know if any other issues
pop up..

Louis McCarthy

Jan 15, 2014, 12:00:33 PM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention, I am using a D-LINK DWA-121 [Realtek RTL8188CUS] using the kernel rtl8192cu module. But I didn't have to do anything, manually, to get the drivers/modules loaded.

I just did a 'ps -A' to check for wpa_supplicant and then used 'iwconfig' to see if the wireless extensions were working, and that provided me with the interface name to put into wicd.

Louis

Bill Traynor

Jan 15, 2014, 12:23:39 PM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Louis McCarthy <comp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am awaiting approval in the bug tracker, but I saw your comment related to
> Wicd/Connman. If I remember correctly, there were issues with multiple
> connections (wired and wireless) and DHCP (only assigned an IP to the first
> adapter) with connman. Not sure if those were resolved.

Sorry about that, Louis. You should be active in the bug tracker now.

smith.wi...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2014, 12:53:53 PM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, January 10, 2014 5:11:09 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
something... ;)

Firstly, many thanks for your hard work here!

Now that the move to debian is official, I'm scrambling to move my custom images over.  With Angstrom, I had a custom .bb file that was based on the ti-hw-bringup-image.bb script and added a few extra things.

With the new scripts, I'm looking to do a number of things:

1) Omit some packages, such as Cloud9, Node and Xorg as I don't need them
2) Add some of my own packages
3) Build a custom kernel (to include a .dts)
4) Customize the resulting rootfs (e.g. add users, systemd service scripts etc)
5) Ultimately, automate this

Initially, I could just clone the script and edit the lines that set bborg_pkg_list to omit what I don't want (#1) and include what I do #2.  I could add a further function to modify the root filesystem before it gets zipped up (although I'm not sure how I create new users etc ...).

Is there some way of being able to extend the script in this manner without having to change it so that it doesn't get clobbered when updating?

Thanks!

-W.

Robert Nelson

Jan 15, 2014, 1:05:33 PM1/15/14
to Beagle Board
The easiest thing to do, is first just fork the repo, then:

cp beagleboard.org_image.sh custom_image.sh

Then edit the "chroot_script" line, so you can run your own chroot
customization script..

For example we are calling: ( chroot_script="beagleboard.org.sh" )
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/beagleboard.org_image.sh#L342

dump your script here:
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/tree/master/chroot_script

The main chroot script does set some sane defaults,

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/scripts/chroot.sh#L289

Just ping us if something is enabled by default that you need off..

Doing that other then just do a git pull everyonce in awhile to get updates..

git pull --no-edit git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git master

If your project gets big, i have issues with adding it to the
readme.md list like I did with MachineKit then i just randomly pull
from those tree when they have updates..

smith.wi...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2014, 12:10:35 PM1/16/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:05:33 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
[...]

Fantastic, thanks for this, I'm in the process of running my first build.

However, it occurs to me that perhaps I don't need to copy the beagleboard.org_image.sh script ... it seems to write all of the things I want to change to the .project file ... If I drop in my own version of this, will the "stock" beagleboard.org_image.sh pick those up?

Couple of other questions:

1) I'm working out of master, should I be using the 01.10.2014 branch?  I'm happy to work on the bleeding edge, as long as I can load my capes .dts via EEPROM
2) I need to load some "unstable" packages from sid, is there any way in the script to do this? -- specifically, golang-go (2:1.2-2) for Go 1.2
3) I'm curious as to what is QEMU used for?  I actually need it to cross compile Erlang for the BBB, so I'd like to see how it's getting used.

Again, many thanks for your efforts!!!

-W.

Robert Nelson

Jan 16, 2014, 1:26:17 PM1/16/14
to Beagle Board

> Fantastic, thanks for this, I'm in the process of running my first build.
>
> However, it occurs to me that perhaps I don't need to copy the
> beagleboard.org_image.sh script ... it seems to write all of the things I
> want to change to the .project file ... If I drop in my own version of this,
> will the "stock" beagleboard.org_image.sh pick those up?

Hey someone noticed the heart of the script.

Correct, just setup ".project" and run

/bin/sh ./RootStock-NG.sh

> Couple of other questions:
>
> 1) I'm working out of master, should I be using the 01.10.2014 branch? I'm
> happy to work on the bleeding edge, as long as I can load my capes .dts via
> EEPROM

Master is fine.. I only tag releases for ease of looking back...

> 2) I need to load some "unstable" packages from sid, is there any way in the
> script to do this? -- specifically, golang-go (2:1.2-2) for Go 1.2

I haven't setup any apt-pinning yet, so in the script it's dangerous..
When i need something from sid, i just try to back port it first..

Follow:

https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild

(sid -> wheezy, amd64 -> armhf)

Make sure to set:

$build_arch_all = 1;
$build_source = 1;

Then just:
sbuild http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/golang/golang_1.2-2.dsc

hopefully you have enough memory/cpu for it to build.. (and wheezy has
the dependices, if it doesn't well it gets funner...)

> 3) I'm curious as to what is QEMU used for? I actually need it to cross
> compile Erlang for the BBB, so I'd like to see how it's getting used.

So the script can run on an x86 machine.. Back when all the script did
was: debootstrap/dpkg/apt-get qemu worked well, howver anything like
"git clone xyz" qemu can fail.. So run it native, but in some cases
on x86 is fine..

smith.wi...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2014, 2:41:48 PM1/16/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:10:35 PM UTC-5, smith.wi...@gmail.com wrote:

Fantastic, thanks for this, I'm in the process of running my first build.

Success! ... I think.  Don't seem to have working ethernet, here's the console output:

[    0.361322] omap2_mbox_probe: platform not supported
[    0.528826] tps65217-bl tps65217-bl: no platform data provided
[    0.593518] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #0: No cape found
[    0.630626] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #1: No cape found
[    0.667733] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #2: No cape found
[    0.704842] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #3: No cape found
[    0.720846] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: BB-BONELT-HDMIN conflict P8.45 (#5:BB-BONELT-HDMI)
[    0.730428] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: Failed verification
[    0.737160] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: loader: failed to load slot-6 BB-BONELT-HDMIN:00A0 (prio 2)
[    0.753514] omap_hsmmc mmc.5: of_parse_phandle_with_args of 'reset' failed
[    0.816446] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin 44e10854 already requested by 44e10800.pinmux; cannot claim for gpio-leds.8
[    0.828157] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin-21 (gpio-leds.8) status -22
[    0.835441] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: could not request pin 21 on device pinctrl-single
Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
systemd-fsck[201]: rootfs: clean, 32162/111104 files, 140904/444160 blocks
[    6.087883] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[    6.092953] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Robert Nelson

Jan 16, 2014, 3:01:17 PM1/16/14
to Beagle Board
Give it a few more seconds, currently "wicd" is under control of eth0
(not /etc/network/interfaces) on 3.8 it takes wicd about 2-3 calls
before it gets it..

The only reason i'm using wicd over /etc/network/interfaces is to
remove the 2 minute timeout if eth0 isn't connected...