How to correctly power down BeagleBoard-xM ?

Jani

Aug 5, 2019, 12:25:19 AM8/5/19
to BeagleBoard
I have my BeagleBoard-xM connected to Windows 10 Laptop.  They are communicating over serial console.
I logged out and closed serial console.

How should I correctly power down my board?

Robert Heller

Aug 5, 2019, 8:52:28 AM8/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, BeagleBoard, Robert Heller
*Before* you logout, run this command:

sudo /sbin/halt

This will cleanly shut the BeagleBoard down.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Indiaaditya Networks

Aug 5, 2019, 1:48:05 PM8/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I thought shutdown command was the way to do it.

Indiaaditya Networks.... Embedded System development
For industries customised needs

Robert Heller

Aug 5, 2019, 3:18:02 PM8/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, beagl...@googlegroups.com, Robert Heller
At Mon, 5 Aug 2019 23:18:31 +0530 beagl...@googlegroups.com wrote:

> Interesting. I thought shutdown command was the way to do it.

/sbin/halt === /sbin/shutdown -h now
/sbin/reboot === /sbin/shutdown -r now

/sbin/halt and /sbin/reboot are "shortcuts" for common shutdown cases.

Feel free to type all of '/sbin/shutdown -h now' if you prefer...

Jani

Aug 5, 2019, 11:09:52 PM8/5/19
to BeagleBoard
How to proceed from here?  LED D5 and D14 are still ON.

Do I just close the PC Console terminal?

halt.PNG

João Manoel

Aug 6, 2019, 4:37:34 AM8/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I used to use "sudo halt", but I found that using "sudo poweroff" completely switches off the board, even the leds. I don't know why it is different, but the poweroff command seems to tell the PMU to cut the power line, and "halt" does only a software power off.

Best regards.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/230cc004-5173-499c-98e4-c30451d84f7f%40googlegroups.com.

--
João Manoel

Adrian Godwin

Aug 6, 2019, 8:22:35 AM8/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I usually use 'shutdown -h now'

Robert Heller

Aug 6, 2019, 8:39:32 AM8/6/19
At Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:09:52 -0700 (PDT) beagl...@googlegroups.com wrote:

> How to proceed from here? LED D5 and D14 are still ON.

But not blinking, right? You can now "pull the plug" (disconnect the power).

> Do I just close the PC Console terminal?

Sure.

> [image: halt.PNG]
>

> On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:18:02 PM UTC-4, Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> > At Mon, 5 Aug 2019 23:18:31 +0530 beagl...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Interesting. I thought shutdown command was the way to do it.
> >
> > /sbin/halt === /sbin/shutdown -h now
> > /sbin/reboot === /sbin/shutdown -r now
> >
> > /sbin/halt and /sbin/reboot are "shortcuts" for common shutdown cases.
> >
> > Feel free to type all of '/sbin/shutdown -h now' if you prefer...

> > <javascript:>

> > an
> > > >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/20190805125147.BCF6926C009B%40sharky3.deepsoft.com
> > > >

> > --
> > Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Linux Administration Services
> > hel...@deepsoft.com <javascript:> -- Webhosting Services

Jacob J. Morales Argumedo

Aug 6, 2019, 12:15:27 PM8/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Just type:
“Sudo shutdown now”

“Sudo reboot” reboots the system.

If the BB has a power button on it, you can just press that and it will properly shut down.

It will power off the system.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/230cc004-5173-499c-98e4-c30451d84f7f%40googlegroups.com.

Jani

Aug 8, 2019, 12:34:41 AM8/8/19
to BeagleBoard
>>  "sudo poweroff" completely switches off the board, even the leds

poweroff.PNG

LEDs are still ON