Clean up three tone audio mix with filtering

Richard

Jul 20, 2019, 8:43:03 AM7/20/19
to beadsproject
I am working with a three tone generator and generating different tones.  While it works, the audio is not clean.  It has spurs in it from additive / subtractive mixing (I think).

Trying to understand BiquadFilter, but being fairly new to Java and certainly to beads, am having trouble understanding the variables, etc.  I believe i need to either:

     1.  Set up bandpass for each of the specified frequencies
     2.  Set up notch filtering between the different tones.

I have looked many times at the example and things are just not clicking for me.

Can some get a ladder to come down to my level so I can understand peak and notch filtering?

Thanks!

Ollie Bown

Jul 21, 2019, 2:36:47 AM7/21/19
to beadsp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Richard,

can you explain a little more what your existing code does? Do you mean you are adding together 3 WavePlayers? If so, as long as you turn down the volume of those WavePlayers with a Gain object, then you should not have any trouble with glitching audio. And if you did a filter would be a hack solution. But I may not be properly understanding what you’re doing. Perhaps you’re saying that after you apply the filter you are getting unclean audio?

The BiquadFilter was written by a guy called Benito who may be on this mailing list but I’ve not heard from him for a long time (Evan Merz might also be more familiar with it). I’m not too intimately familiar with its parameters. Certainly with this object and with filters in general some gan and Q values can cause mutant sounds so getting those params right can be important.

Best,

Ollie

Ollie Bown

Richard

Jul 21, 2019, 11:45:01 AM7/21/19
to beadsproject
Hi there...

I found that the audio drive was excessive which was the main problem.

I would like to understand the filtering better though.  May want to use it in the future.

Thanks