BCSWomen Lovelace Colloquium 2023: Call for abstracts and draft programme now available

hannah dee

Jan 5, 2023, 10:45:02 AM1/5/23
to BCSWomen Lovelace Publicity

Dear All

[apologies if you receive this message more than once]

The BCSWomen Lovelace Colloquium is open for student abstract submission, with a deadline of February 6th. After three online years we are very  much looking forward to seeing lots of women and nb students in-person in Sheffield.  Please encourage any women and nb students you know to submit to this. We find that for many of our audience they lack confidence, and a word or two from a lecturer or similar saying "you can do this!" can go a long way. We welcome students from all undergraduate years (from foundation up) and also taught MSc students.

The call for abstracts email is copied below so you can easily forward it to any students who might be interested.

============================

All women and non-binary students of computing and related subjects are invited to enter one of the poster contests at the BCSWomen Lovelace Colloquium.

This will be held on Wednesday 12 April 2023, in-person, hosted by Sheffield University.

The day will feature talks, a careers panel, employer stands and of course the student poster contests. A programme for the day is online in draft form at https://bcswomenlovelace.bcs.org/?page_id=533 with speaker bios.

To enter the poster contest, you will have to write a 250 word abstract on the topic of your poster. The abstract deadline is Monday February 6th 2023.

Your abstract can be on any computing topic you like. We’ve had submissions on everything from social networking to quantum computing; from medical image processing to wearable computing (complete with an Arduino powered skirt). If it involves computers, we’re interested. If you aren’t sure what a 250 word abstract looks like, we have some samples of abstracts from previous years.

The poster contests are as follows:

  • Best first year poster for students who are in their first year of study at a UK university. This category is also open to students in a Foundation year.
  • Best second year poster for students in their second year of study at a UK university (also those on an industrial year or 3rd year of a 4 year degree – basically this is for students between their first and final years).
  • Best final year undergraduate poster for students in their final year of study for a BA, BSc, BEng, or in the penultimate year of an MEng (this will often be the 3rd year, but may be the fourth or fifth year, if the student has taken a year abroad, year in industry, or is studying for a 4 year Scottish degree).
  • Best Masters student poster for students doing a taught masters degree, or who are in the final year of an MEng or similar integrated 4-5 year course resulting in a masters.

We hope to be able to offer people’s choice prizes as well as first and second place in each category.

The best 100 or so abstracts received will get to present their posters at the event, and we hope to be able to organise travel reimbursement, and also accommodation for those poster session finalists who live too far from the venue. Some Universities have agreed to fund their student travel direct: you can see which universities are supporting the event in this way on our University Supporter page.

Please submit your abstract using this online form.

Our headline sponsor for 2023 will be Ocado Technology
https://careers.ocadogroup.com/what-you-can-do/technology?utm_source=event&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ot_events_email_bcswomen_lovelace_colloquium