[BCR] BCR Seminar on Nov 20th (Friday): Open the green box 靠“田”吃饭

Gewei Wang

Nov 19, 2009, 12:55:32 PM11/19/09
to bcssa...@uclink4.berkeley.edu, berkeleyc...@lists.berkeley.edu
Dear members of BCR (Berkeley China Review) and BCSSA,

We are happy to announce that we will have Changecheng Song (宋长城) from
the Economics Department at UC Berkeley for our next seminar. This
Friday evening, he will give a talk about his recent research on rural
insurance in China. As usual, the talk will start at 7:00 pm and will
last for about one, after which we will open up for discussion.

You are welcome to bring your friends, enjoy some free food, and
participate in our traditional after-talk discussion. Please see below
for detailed information.

大家好,宋长城将为BCR (Berkeley China Review) 就他最近在中国对农业水稻保险进行的研究举办一次座谈。欢迎参与我们的讨论,详情如下。

题目**Topic**
- 靠“田”吃饭:影响中国农村水稻保险的推广因素研究
- Open the green box: rice insurance takeup in rural China

演讲人**Speaker**
- Changecheng Song (宋长城)

时间**Time**
- 7pm -8pm, Friday, November 20, 2009

地点**Location**
- C330, Haas School of Business (Cheit Hall)

语言**Language**
- 中文 Chinese

晚餐**Dinner**
- A dinner with the speaker is scheduled for 5:30pm-6:50pm (right
before the seminar). RSVP for details.

什么是BCR**About BCR**
- See http://groups.google.com/group/bcreview
- Google with keywords "berkeley china review"

简介**Abstract**:
自然灾害是影响农业生产的一个重要因素,很多农户也会因灾返贫。但是农业保险在中国的农村中并不普及。水稻保险是刚刚在农村中开始试点的一个农业保险。我们将研究哪些因素会影响水稻保险的购买率。
Crop cultivation are vulnerable to risks such as flood, drought and
pests. This reduces desirable investment of rural households and
hinders them from getting out of poverty. In many circumstances,
insurance products for hedging against these risks do not exist, while
in some other cases, such products are available, but not utilized
widely. Rice insurance is new in China. We are looking for the factors
that would influence the takeup and spread of this kind of new
insurance.

**Speaker bio**
Changecheng Song (宋长城) is a 4th year PhD student in the Economics
Department at UC Berkeley. His fields of interest are development
economics, experimental economics, and labor economics.

Best,
Berkeley China Review

(un)subscribe berkeleychinareview