[BCR] BCR Seminar this Friday (Apr 30): 中国经济的兴起、衰落与再兴:两千年制度与政治 Chinese Economy in Long-Run Perspective

Congyan Tan

Apr 27, 2010, 1:06:37 AM4/27/10
to bcssa...@lists.berkeley.edu, berkeleyc...@lists.berkeley.edu
Dear members of BCR (Berkeley China Review) and BCSSA,

We are happy to announce that we will have Professor Ma Debin from the
Department of Economic History at London School of Economics for our
next seminar. This Friday evening, he will give a talk about his
research on Chinese economy in long-term perspective. The talk will
start at 7:30 pm and last for about one hour, after which we will open
up for discussions.

You are welcome to bring your friends, enjoy Professor Ma's speech and
participate in our traditional after-talk discussion. Please see below
for detailed information.

大家好,来自伦敦经济学院经济史系的马德斌教授将为BCR (Berkeley China Review)
就他长期对中国纵贯两千年来经济发展的思考与研究举办一次座谈。马教授是著名经济学家,专注于经济史领域。学术研究兴趣包括中国以及东亚的长期经济增长、制度与法律对经济增长的影响、中国与其它东亚以及欧洲国家长期经济发展的比较。他对东亚国家丝绸工业和中国近现代工业的发展所作的研究在学术界都取得了非常大的反响。

马教授博古通今,言谈生动有趣。这次的演讲将着重于回答中国与欧洲在近代经济发展中的差距(Great
Divergence)是在何时,如何,以及为何造成的。特别的是,他将以制度经济学的视角观察中国古代的君臣政治结构如何影响长期的经济发展。最后,他将借鉴历史,分析得失,提出自己对当前中国经济发展的思考。

欢迎您及您的朋友参与我们的讨论,详情如下。

题目**Topic**
- 中国经济的兴起、衰落与再兴:制度与政治
- Chinese Economy in Long-Term Perspective

演讲人**Speaker**
- Ma Debin

时间**Time**
- 7:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday, April 30th, 2010

地点**Location**
- C110, Haas School of Business (Cheit Hall), University of California
at Berkeley
- How to get here: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/maps.html

语言**Language**
- 中文 Chinese

什么是BCR**About BCR**
- See http://groups.google.com/group/bcreview - Google with keywords
"berkeley china review"

简介**Abstract**:
In this talk, Debin Ma will demonstrate the importance of long-term
view in understanding present and future of the Chinese economy. In
particular, he will focus on when, how and why economic divergence
between China and Europe emerged. In particular, he takes an
institutional perspective on the role of the traditional political
regime on shaping long-term economic trajectory in China and its
contemporary implications.

**Speaker bio**
Debin Ma is a tenured Professor of economic history at London School
of Economics. He has worked, taught and lectured extensively in China,
Japan, US and Europe for the past decade. His research focuses on the
long-run economic growth of China and East Asia in a comparative and
global perspective and has published extensively in prominent academic
outlets on topics ranging from comparative modernization of China and
Japan, living standards in early modern Europe and East Asia to
political and legal history of traditional China and East Asia.

To (un)subscribe Berkeley China Review mailing list, e-mail to
majo...@listlink.berkeley.edu with subject blank and this line in
the body:
(un)subscribe berkeleychinareview

Best,