BYOD (Bring your own device)

Robert Arkiletian

Dec 19, 2011, 2:54:03 PM12/19/11
to bcf...@googlegroups.com
Vancouver district is moving towards the idea of encouraging students
to bring their own devices. Wifi is set to go in next year. Found this
article today

http://www.infoworld.com/t/byod/the-new-byod-businesses-are-now-driving-adoption-181887

Wondering what peoples thoughts are about this idea.

--
Robert Arkiletian

Gregg Ferrie

Dec 19, 2011, 3:01:36 PM12/19/11
to bcf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Robert

You might also refer to this article referenced by the Vancouver Sun.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/12/18/wi-fi-opponents-making-headway-in-schools/

In Sannich the use of diskless clients answers many of our current questions however there is no doubt that the ministry and others are moving towards a BYOD philosophy. Certainly for secondary schools this will become pervasive. The only problem they face is growing opposition to the use of WiFi, particularly in elementary schools and to a degree less at middle schools.

We will continue to implement and support diskless clients and NoMachine's NX client to provide ubiquitous access for the foreseeable future. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

gregg

Gregg Ferrie, MSc-IS, ICP
Director of Information Technology
School District No. 63 (Saanich)
Office (250) 652-7311
Cell (250) 580-6840

Freddie Cash

Dec 19, 2011, 3:03:49 PM12/19/11
to bcf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Robert Arkiletian <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vancouver district is moving towards the idea of encouraging students
> to bring their own devices. Wifi is set to go in next year. Found this
> article today
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/byod/the-new-byod-businesses-are-now-driving-adoption-181887
>
> Wondering what peoples thoughts are about this idea.

We implemented this starting last year, although it didn't really take
off until this year.

We have multiple wireless networks available in secondary schools and
admin sites:
- staff: only staff laptops, gives full access to the local network

- student: only student laptops, only allows web traffic through
the school's proxy, and NX connections to the school's server; all
traffic on a separate vlan from the local network. Thus, they get the
same web access as they do from their school computer accounts, and
they can use the NX Client to connect to their school computer
account. No local network access, not even to printers.

- student-bb: any staff/student device that doesn't support proxies
(so, basically all smartphones and tablets); all traffic is vlan'd
back to the server, then VPN'd back to a server at the SBO; that
server handles authentication for the devices and provides firewalled
access to the Internet. No local network access. Internet access is
not filtered beyond non-essential ports being blocked.

- public: any device that only needs temporary access to the
Internet; traffic is vlan'd to the school's server then VPN'd to a
server at the SBO, where a username/password is needed before Internet
access is enabeld. Schools create accounts that automatically expire
after X days. No local network access, and Internet access is not
filtered.

Beyond a few growing pains around wireless coverage and usage, it's
been working out extremely well. We average around 700 devices on the
wireless network around the district. And, since we use HP ProCurve
(nee Colubris) managed wireless, once a device is configured to work
in one school, it works in all schools (at least for the wireless
link; some school configuration may be required to get an IP address).

--
Freddie Cash
fjw...@gmail.com

Seema Ali

Dec 21, 2011, 11:04:47 AM12/21/11
to bcf...@googlegroups.com

As a teacher, I guess my concern would be if labs are no longer going to be supported, and with the wide range in technology, how is the district going to ensure that students will have a fair (cheat-free) testing environment during the online provincial exams?

If there is a way to control all of the operating systems and make sure that no other applications are running on those devices other than the one needed for the exam and it is a full proof system then it should be ok.  That way students can purchase devices that work well both at home and school.

From Seema