openStudent web site

Gregg Ferrie

Jan 24, 2012, 3:37:40 PM1/24/12
to bcf...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

We thought it might be time to update the BCFOSSS community with our progress on openStudent. Effective today, we now have 2 full-time and 2 part-time developers. Along with our lead developer, we have just hired a second individual who has over 7 years experience in Java development. One of our part-time developers has a PhD in computer science and the other has a computer science degree and significant experience working in the K-12 environment.

Our website is continually evolving with stories and content being added from district staff across the province. The stories are then being moved into our Redmine project development platform. The stories can then be categorized and turned into tasks and incorporated into our bi-weekly sprints which are helping us manage and drive the project forward. We are now nearing completion of our 4th sprint. Our lead developer has also setup openStudent under the Github revision code repository which is synchronized with our Redmine code repository.

With all of the management tools up and running and development proceeding we are now seeking individuals who wish to volunteer some time. We have a need in several areas for anyone who has an interest in this project and could use the following:
  • Drupal developers (graphic artists, web design, theming and possibly administration)
  • Java developers (people who have knowledge of Java and want to participate with code snippets and development)
  • User stories and forum participation (anyone working in school districts who are already using BCeSIS or some other SIS and want to provide functionality and design information).
We would most like to engage teachers who have programming capabilities, district technical staff who have architecture knowledge, web site developers ... that sort of thing.

There will be some rigour around how many people we can work with and what tasks we can delegate but we believe its an exciting opportunity to become involved early in the first K-12 community source development project.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter as well!

looking to hear from you!

gregg

Gregg Ferrie, MSc-IS, ICP
Director of Information Technology
School District No. 63 (Saanich)
Office (250) 652-7311
Cell (250) 580-6840

Manfred Moser

Jan 25, 2012, 5:42:18 PM1/25/12
to bcf...@googlegroups.com
Great work!

I suggested this before and I am offering again. It might be a good idea
to present about the project to the Vancouver Island Java User Group I am
running to get some feedback and potential participation.

I run VIJUG and could organize venue and all for a February meeting ...

manfred
http://simpligility.com