BCCHC Updates 01/07/2020

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Jan 7, 2021, 2:45:13 PM1/7/21
to bc...@googlegroups.com

BCCHC Community!

IN THIS EMAIL

Thoughts on Yesterday’s Events

Hello Beloved BCCHC Community!

Hopefully all are doing well and staying safe given the uncertain nature of our current economic, political, and health situations.

We have passed 361,000 COVID deaths in the US. Sadly we are seeing that the vaccine rollout is going slower than expected. We know that we are all doing our best. We can continue to social distance as best as possible to help in the ending of the pandemic. We also know that our small businesses are being impacted. Please consider supporting local businesses. They are part of what makes our communities unique and distinct. The large chain businesses are essentially what we hear from community they don’t want. Many community members do not want “cookie cutter solutions.” While many in the community depend on large corporate businesses, they do so because of limited options.

As for yesterday, we have 13 days until inauguration. There were 4 deaths at the poorly planned coup yesterday. 1 by use of force, and 3 due to medical emergencies. The insurrection coup stressed many people out. Please take care of yourselves as best you can. Whether it is to unplug and go out to nature, or process with someone you trust, please do what you can to get grounded or stay grounded. Some people avoided news yesterday, and if that’s what helped that’s fine. Long term there has been a shift in politics gradually toward this since I can remember. It is our political context now. There is research on how political parties in power impact health.

It will be important for us all to consider how to move forward today in collective ways. We saw many of the most unhealthy aspects of US society and politics on display yesterday. While many think that was an aberration, there was much seen yesterday that is seen by people of color, women, LGBTQ+, and other communities on a regular basis. It will take a great deal of work by those identified as white men and white women. Many Black, Indigenous and People of Color have worked on the issues for decades and will continue to do so. As someone who identifies as a Chicano-Cahuilla this is something I have tried to work on these issues most of my adult life. Inequities end lives early.

For those who are shook from yesterday. Please ground yourself and do the self care needed. I’ll do my best to do that as well.

All that said, we have some exciting changes going on with your Community Health Council. I would like to propose that our meeting this month on Tuesday the 26th, at 10AM we discuss how the Council can be more effective in community engagement and health equity. For those who want to help lead that type of work with the Council please let me know.

Have as wonderful day as possible!

In Solidarity for Health Equity!

Enrique Cardiel, MPH

Executive Director

Bernalillo County Community Health Council

He/Him/His also Camarada
505.246.1638

Donate online to help keep our public health work thriving!
https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

image001.png