HEC Update 05/25/2021

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

May 25, 2021, 5:14:14 PM5/25/21
to bc...@googlegroups.com

HEC Community!

IN THIS EMAIL

1 – Quick update on today’s meeting

2 – George Floyd Vigil, Tonight, 7PM

1 – Quick update on today’s meeting

We had a good gathering. Over 30 people attended. We started with a moment of silence in remembrance of George Floyd, and all of those who have died preventable early deaths due to police violence and the pandemic.

The majority of the meeting was centered around learning about the Soteria House efforts in Las Cruces. We learned about this approach that is centered on community and had a very intense discussion. It may be that this model is something that can be support in Albuquerque and Bernalillo County since we are the largest urban area in the state. It seemed like there is some good research done on this model and it may not be supported as most research has been on approaches centered on medications. This work and this approach seems to tie in well with substance misuse prevention, anti-stigma work, harm reduction, violence prevention and more.

As someone who has been supporting people with issues of psychosis and other mental health issues for decades and not seeing a community building approach, and not seeing much change through medications, I am committed to bringing this type of effort to our area. For those interested please send an email and we will stay in touch with Al Galves who gave us this inspiring presentation. In speaking with Mr. Galves it seems that this could be an approach that would work even in a building such as the Gateway Center as the key focus is the human interaction. Something to keep in mind.

ALSO:
There is a Hearing Voices Group meeting.  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81160704999

People who hear voices, have visions or unusual experiences or have experience such things are welcome to attend. Meetings are on Tuesdays at 6PM.

2 – George Floyd Vigil, Tonight, 7PM

George Floyd One Year Later

A Time for Re-Dedication and Re-Commitment

What A candlelight dedication to re-commit ourselves to continuing the fight for Justice.

Why Tuesday, May 25th Marks One year since the tragic murder of George Floyd at the hands on a Minneapolis Police Officer. Despite the conviction of the Officer, Derrick Chauvin, many more victims of police murder still go unpunished. We have to keep demanding justice and actively sustain momentum. This will be a one-hour program with an open mic opportunity to re-ignite the fight for justice.

Limit 3 minutes per speaker.

When Tuesday May 25th, 2021 at 7 PM

Where The Peace and Justice Center’s 202 Harvard SE

Please bring your masks, your candles, flowers are welcome too!

You are also welcome to bring the names or photos of other victims of police violence to be placed on our new remembrance board.

Albuquerque Center for Peace and Justice

202 Harvard SE * Albuquerque, NM 87106 * 505-268-9557 * www.abqpeaceandjustice.org

Questions....Contact: Jim Harvey 505/268-9557

Email: jim.a...@gmail.com

In Solidarity for Health Equity!

Enrique Cardiel, MPH

Executive Director | Health Equity Council

He/Him/His also Camarada

P: 505.246.1638

E: enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Donate online to help keep our public health work thriving!
https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

image001.png