BCCHC Updates 12/15/2020

1 view

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Dec 15, 2020, 4:09:02 PM12/15/20
to bc...@googlegroups.com

BCCHC Community!

IN THIS EMAIL

1 – Next Meeting, Tuesday, December 8 at 10AM

2 – Upcoming BCBS Medicaid Meeting, Thursday, December 10, 12PM

3 – Updates on CARES Grants info from South Valley MainStreet

We have passed 300,000 US deaths by COVID. We know there are many problems that the pandemic has highlighted in our social systems. We still see issues with the lack of paid sick leave. We still see about 1,000 empty housing units and a growth of people living outside. We still see, even during the pandemic, a growth in policing of communities over the public health infrastructure that could save lives. So the Council will continue to work on policy issues as we can, and will also encourage community to organize itself. Poverty is an example. As we try to deal with the policies which impact poverty (such as paid leave, minimum wage, etc.) people will deal with stress. That’s why we created the stress resiliency project. It’s why we continue to support community led syringe pickups. It is something where community empowers itself to deal with environmental health. The tension between those wanting government to do more things for communities and those wanting a smaller government leaves us with a situation where it is important to look at what community led health projects can be implemented. We will continue to look for those types of projects.

Many in our community are vulnerable, and the pandemic is making even more people vulnerable. Working together we can deal with this. This is what we are looking toward in reaching for health equity.

1 – Community Responding, Friday, December 18 at Noon

After our presentation by Mo on de-escalation there has been interest and some organizing work around community response and community support. We will talk about this on Friday at noon. Please invite those interested.

BCC Health Council is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81305457955?pwd=S3QyS3ppY3dEdk5WQmt5djZodjdWZz09

Meeting ID: 813 0545 7955
Passcode: 176593
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,81305457955#,,,,,,0#,,176593# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,81305457955#,,,,,,0#,,176593# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 813 0545 7955
Passcode: 176593
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcObgUChu0

In Solidarity for Health Equity!

Enrique Cardiel, MPH

Executive Director

Bernalillo County Community Health Council

He/Him/His also Camarada
505.246.1638

Donate online to help keep our public health work thriving!
https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

image001.png

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org