BCCHC Updates 11/18/2020

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Nov 19, 2020, 12:09:15 AM11/19/20
to bc...@googlegroups.com

BCCHC Community!

IN THIS EMAIL

1 – Next BCCHC Meeting, Tuesday, November 24, 10AM

2 – Emergency Preparedness Meeting quick update

997 new cases in Bernalillo County today. We need to continue to mask up, wash our hands, cover our coughs, and as much as possible stay physically away from people.  We need to figure out how to support and do prevention in the zip codes most impacted. Staying calm and focused is important. Figuring out how to feel calm and connected at this time is important.

Continue to support ABQ Mutual Aid if you can http://www.ffol.org/mutualaid.html

I will attempt to get out some notices tomorrow and/or Friday. There is a great deal of information coming in related to COVID and more.

1 – Next BCCHC Meeting, Tuesday, November 24, 10AM

Tentative Agenda:

Welcome and Breathing
Introductions

No Minor Sales will present on tobacco sales to minors.

NMPHA will talk about the Health Security Plan and the Annual Policy Forum.

More may be added.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88240844088?pwd=YkxmSmo3Q0RyQmVFRWo0bVMzTFBtQT09

Meeting ID: 882 4084 4088
Passcode: 946177
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,88240844088#,,,,,,0#,,946177# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,88240844088#,,,,,,0#,,946177# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 882 4084 4088
Passcode: 946177
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcNcPDsmXu

2 – Emergency Preparedness Meeting quick update

We discussed the idea of community preparation. Much of what is considered “prepping” is individual or single family oriented. While there are kind of “village” prepping, it often has an exclusivity to it. We discussed the possibility of people preparing with the most excluded in mind. We also talked about the skill of shopping for long periods. Many of us are used to shopping once or even twice a week. My grandparents shopped once a month. We also reviewed a couple of things from previous conversations.

What if people were given support in knowing and supporting neighbors. There are likely several months left of people who cannot drive, or who have medical issues needing support for shopping. Someone shared an example of needing to coordinate shopping as some neighbors are helping each other out, yet it is still requiring many shopping trips. With our current situation it would be better to have less trips. That’s a skill that can be shared. We talked about having people in neighborhoods know more about services available and being supported in sharing that with neighbors. We talked about skill shares such as first aid, CPR, growing food, communicating with support services being skills to spread among the community. How do we prepare for emergencies or crisis in a way that brings communities together? How can we prepare for a variety of potential issues? Right now we are dealing with a pandemic. In the future there could be other issues. In New Mexico we have fires. It was a good conversation and flowed into the other topic.

We also discussed the idea of community responders. We felt there was an overlap of these topics. There would be a lot to work out on how to reach out to people safely at this time. How to make it something that continues even if the support people lose funding is another question to answer. We also wondered how concepts of Popular Education would fit into this. We felt that people going out to de-escalate situations as volunteers could be a strengthening of our communities. Having skills like first aid, de-escalation training, some knowledge of resources and more would be essential. I shared an experience where I was able to witness someone was able to de-escalate a situation. They walked up on a potential conflict and asked the person in distress and asked if they needed water and if they wanted to talk. The situation took about 45 minutes from start to end. However the person that requested support was able to feel supported and the person in distress was de-escalated and not harmed or arrested. It was inspiring to watch.

It was an invigorating conversation overall. I’m not sure we will have these meetings weekly. We will figure that out as we go.

In Solidarity for Health Equity!

Enrique Cardiel, MPH

Executive Director

Bernalillo County Community Health Council

He/Him/His also Camarada
505.246.1638

Donate online to help keep our public health work thriving!
https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

image001.png