BCCHC Updates 02/18/2021

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Feb 18, 2021, 5:06:09 PM2/18/21
to bc...@googlegroups.com

BCCHC Community!

IN THIS EMAIL

1 – Next BCCHC Meeting, Tuesday, February 23, 10AM

2 – City Climate Action Plan Input

3 – District 1199NM Union PSAs and other Activities

4 – International Women’s Day Events

Attached is a flyer with some information for housing for tonight. It seems like information changes daily.

Here at the Council we continue to look at our role in working for health equity. We also want to increase the community aspect of being a community health council. We are going to start by doing more community work with those of you who attend our meetings. We will expand this work to any of our working groups, and as we can get out more we will extend this work to communities. We know that health equity comes after social equity. So anti-oppression work will be key. Anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-homophia, and more will need to be dealt with.

We know that power imbalances are also huge for the social equity that impacts health equity. That’s why being intentional with relationships is important. We want a strong sense of connection within the public health community, and want to extend that beyond our regular meetings. Sometimes we will be able to pay people to participate, yet we know the reality is that we need everyone and there isn’t enough funding to pay everyone. It is a wonderful opportunity to work for your community so we will look for a realistic balance of stipends and volunteers. We look forward to having the conversations that help us look for better ways to be in community as professionals, and outside the walls of our work places. It may feel slow at first yet know that we are moving into a deeper community engagement. I have heard interest in this by others and hope to see you Tuesday!

Oh, and people were encouraged to

1 – Next BCCHC Meeting, Tuesday, February 23, 10AM

Our next meeting will be next week.

Our Agenda:

Welcome, Breathing, and Introductions

Staff Updates

Educational Experiences and Perceived Health of Latinxs- UNM Culture and Cognition lab

Conversation on Being in Community for Public Health

If there is time we will go over values the Council is working from

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER FOR CONVERSATION:
Why am I called to public health?
Why did I decide to work on this specific issue or public health project?

What values move me to action?

How have I learned from or acted on those values?

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86978498243?pwd=OHo2LzZpNHZtVDhHa3VCdERLVkZOZz09

Meeting ID: 869 7849 8243
Passcode: 912086
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,86978498243#,,,,*912086# US (Houston)
+16699006833,,86978498243#,,,,*912086# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
Meeting ID: 869 7849 8243
Passcode: 912086
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/khKrboM9i

2 – City Climate Action Plan Input

The City of Albuquerque invites public comment on the Draft 2021 Climate Action Plan

The City’s Sustainability Office is inviting community members to share their input on draft policy recommendations for the upcoming 2021 Albuquerque Climate Action Plan (CAP). Please take and share the CAP public comment survey in both English and Spanish with your networks and sign up for virtual public comment meetings in English here or Spanish here.

The CAP Public Comment Survey will be open until Friday, February 26th at 8pm. Two virtual public comment meetings will be offered to discuss deep insights on the draft recommendations on February 17th, 12-2pm and February 18th 5:30-7:30pm. For more information please visit the CAP Public Comment Webpage.

Thank you for supporting the Office of Sustainability. Please follow us on all social media platforms @CABQEHD. Sign up for updates at sustain...@cabq.gov.

3 – District 1199NM Union PSAs and other Activities

NUHHCE District 1199NM members share their personal stories with an ask to our communities to do their part in wearing a mask and keeping social distance whenever possible.

https://www.nmhospitalworkersunion.com/index.cfm

They also have a petition to support UNM Graduate students who are attempting to organize a union. There is plenty of research that shows that the higher the union participation rates in a given country the better health outcomes are.

4 – International Women’s Day Events

Event hosted on Sunday, March 7 at 2PM by the March 8th Women’s Committee

https://www.facebook.com/events/4017709734919610

Event hosted on Monday, March 8 at 7PM by La Raza Unida
https://www.facebook.com/events/116649610306324

In Solidarity for Health Equity!

Enrique Cardiel, MPH

Executive Director

Bernalillo County Community Health Council

He/Him/His also Camarada
505.246.1638

Donate online to help keep our public health work thriving!
https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

image003.png
hotel vouchers Feb18.pdf