HEC Updates 07/08/2021

enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Jul 8, 2021, 6:16:04 PM7/8/21
to bc...@googlegroups.com

HEC Community!

IN THIS EMAIL

1 – Community Emergency Response Training (CERT)
2 – NMPHA Annual Awards Ceremony, Friday, July 9, Noon
3 – Mobile Speed Enforcement Survey

4 – Zoom & Sound Tech Volunteers Needed - Training Any Monday Evening

5 – La Familia Grower’s Market, Friday, 4:30PM

Our next meeting will be Tuesday, July 27 at 10AM. Link and other info will be sent out soon.

The intersection of environmental and public health has been obvious to some people for a long time. For some Hurricane Katrina made it obvious. This year has made it extremely clear for many more people. On top of the inequities that the pandemic has brought to mainstream conversation, current heat waves, burning oceans, and flooding is making this a clear topic. The Council has worked on or supported important equity issues such as transit equity, access to public sanitation, broadband access, as well as others. Equitable access to housing, support services, and energy are also key. As things get hotter or colder people who have access to energy use more energy which makes sense and also feeds climate change. Imagine how much more difficult the extremes in weather are for those who live outside.

                In driving around the other day I saw a tent with a light on. That made it clear that there are so many gradients to being unhoused, just as there are for those of us who are housed. This seems to me that we need many options or paths toward housing. While people are unhoused there is a wide variety of support that people need for harm reduction as well as stabilization. Harm reduction not only from substance use but also environmental change. Beyond providing “solar swag” at tables HEC hopes to support those who do outreach to those most impacted by the social inequities which feed health inequities. If you’d like to support that please donate at: https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

1 – Community Emergency Response Training (CERT)
September is emergency preparedness month (https://www.ready.gov/september). After this last year I have been working on promoting a few things. One is the idea of community responders as a way to build community, public health capacity, and to reduce calls to 911. This would be a community-based project and focused on communities that want/need this type of public health support. One part of that is the knowledge that Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) have. So this is early but I may send it once in a while.

Here is some info on our Albuquerque CERT program:

https://www.cabq.gov/office-of-emergency-management/citizen-preparedness/community-emergency-response-team

Here is the online CERT application: https://www.cabq.gov/office-of-emergency-management/documents/2020-application-for-cert-basic-training.pdf

If you want to reach out to City staff working on this please see below. (Also, if you know of a County program working on this please send me the info.)

Nick Zubel, Senior Planner

Albuquerque Office of Emergency Management

11510 Sunset Gardens SW

Albuquerque, NM 87121

(o) 505-244-8654

(c) 505-967-5638

(f) 505-352-8934

nzu...@cabq.gov

2 – NMPHA Annual Awards Ceremony, Friday, July 9, Noon

Please join NMPHA for our Annual Awards and Business Meeting this Friday, July 9th, Noon - 1pm. Help us honor these outstanding public health leaders and meet your 2021-22 Board of DirectorsClick here for Friday's Zoom link.

3 – Mobile Speed Enforcement Survey

Please help the City by taking this survey on mobile speed enforcement options

As part of our effort to improve road safety in the metro and equitably reduce the alarming numbers of traffic related fatalities and injuries, after months of community engagement, Vision Zero recommended that the City of Albuquerque explore mobile speed enforcement options.

We want to hear from you on this important issue. Please complete this community input form (estimated completion time 6 minutes) and provide valuable input to City leaders.

4 – Zoom & Sound Tech Volunteers Needed - Training Any Monday Evening

Would you like to learn Zoom professional?  Learn a Professional Sound Board?  Wings needs you!

Wings films weekly Zoom, Life Facebook, and Live You Tube every Monday night from 4:30 – 7:00.  We also are doing live Zoom trainings in the New Mexico prisons.  We need volunteers to be trained and possibly become future staff.

On Thursday, July 8, starting at 2:30 pm, there will be training held at:

Calvary Chapel East – Main Auditorium

12820 Indian School Rd NE—Albuquerque, NM 87112

2 blocks W of Tramway— Park in S lot off Eastridge Drive & around the 8-story building.  Drive through the gate and park in the SE parking lot in front of the gym, school, & Auditorium.

The Auditorium is the building next to the 3-story school.  It has a blue awning and is next to the children’s playground. The gym also has a blue awning, but we are in the Auditorium north of the gym.

Please call me if you’d like to know more, or just show up at the church on Thursday or any coming Monday evening.

THANKS!

Ann

505-554-6698 cell

5 – La Familia Grower’s Market, Friday, 4:30PM

Joins Us at the La Familia Growers Market Every Friday

July 2nd: NM LULAC Distributing Free PPE

July 9th: Kid's Pop-up in Parks: Chess by Learners Chess

When: Every Friday

Time: 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm

Where: Dolores Huerta Gateway Park

100 Bridge Blvd. SW

ABQ, NM 87105

Local Farmers • Arts-n-Craft Vendors • Music • Food Trucks

This is a free and family friendly event! Come out and enjoy the beautiful weather and

Open Space at the Dolores Huerta Gateway Park while supporting local farmers and

business owners.

Flyer attached

In Solidarity for Health Equity!

Enrique Cardiel, MPH

Executive Director | Health Equity Council

He/Him/His also Camarada

P: 505.246.1638

E: enr...@bchealthcouncil.org

Donate online to help keep our public health work thriving!
https://secure.givelively.org/donate/bernalillo-county-community-health-council

image001.png
July2&July9_2021_LaFamiliaGrowersMarketFlyer.jpg