1Cor 6:18-20 Sexual Abstinence

1 view

bcbs...@yahoo.com

May 26, 2023, 6:26:42 AM5/26/23
to Bcbsr
Sexual Abstinence

1Cor 6:18-20  Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

By "all other sins" he's referring to all other sins involving action. Essentially "the outside of the cup" type of sins Jesus alluded to in Mt 23:25. As we know, evil desires themselves are sin. So he is referring to outward sins. That is, inner sin leads to outer sin. And of the outer sins, sexual immorality is unique.

I say this because it leads to a practical application. Namely Jesus said, "First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean." Mt 23:26  That is, sexual immorality is to be countered by a change of attitude. As lust goes so goes the committing of sexual immorality.

"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2Tim 2:22  and "It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality;  that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable,  not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God." 1Th 4:3-5

Furthermore we don't own ourselves and so don't have the right to do whatever we feel.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources