1Cor 6:14-17 Your Body Matters

bcbs...@yahoo.com

May 25, 2023, 6:24:27 AM5/25/23
to Bcbsr
Your Body Matters

1Cor 6:14-17  By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh." But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

There have been  those who justify immorality on the basis that the body doesn't matter. But Paul's first point here is that seeing as God will be glorified through our physical bodies, the physical body does matter. To abuse the body is to sin. Paul's second point against immorality is that our bodies are outward expressions of Christ and as such we dishonor Christ by committing sexual immorality.

There's an analogy between marriage and the church's relationship with Christ implied here and an a number of other places like Eph 5:31,32"'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' This is a profound mystery— but I am talking about Christ and the church." And Rom 7:4 "So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God." So for a saint to commit sexual immorality is not a victimless crime. It is a crime against Christ.