HBS: Dissensions

STEPHEN AMATO

Jul 21, 2022, 9:54:02 AM7/21/22
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Dissensions

Gal 5:19-21 "... dissensions ... those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

This is a person who characteristically is unnecessarily, unreasonably divisive. There are times and issues of which one should necessarily divide. Jesus said, “the world hates me because I testify that what it does is evil.” John 7:7 And Paul says, "Expel the wicked man from among you." 1Cor 5:13 In fact one could characterize both Jesus and Paul as being divisive. But they were divisive concerning essential and justifiable matters. Bu what Paul is referring to in Gal are those who are unnecessarily and unreasonably divisive.

For example in Romans 14 Paul spoke of getting along with fellow Christians who differ in “disputable matters” (Rom 14:1) He gives examples "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.Rom 14:5 as he also mentions in Col 2:16 “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.” These along with other matters of eating and drinking. Yet many, even among religious leaders divide over these issues, even establishing denominations inflating these kinds of issues to the point where they interfere with fellowship. “I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.” Rom 16:17