2Cor 6:1,2 Receive Grace with Purpose

bcbs...@yahoo.com

Feb 13, 2024, 6:11:43 AMFeb 13
to Bcbsr
Receive Grace with Purpose

2Cor 6:1,2 As God’s fellow workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.

To receive it in vain is to receive it without intending to put it into practice, or otherwise to abandon it at some point. Paul wrote to them in his first letter saying, "By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain." 1Cor 15:2 And he points to his own example saying, "by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." 1Cor 15:10

Today being the day of salvation is a quote from Isaiah 49:8. Similarly Isaiah also says, "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon." Is 55:6,7 And he goes on to speak of the effective nature of the Word of God. " As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Is 55:10,11

In other words, what God says is not in vain. He means what he says and will bring about what he promised. Therefore be confident in what God has promised and carry out what God has commanded. "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1Cor 15:58