HBS: Strife

STEPHEN AMATO

Jul 15, 2022, 6:37:25 AM7/15/22
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Strife

Gal 5:19-21 “...strife... those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

We are to contend over essentials. And thus the command, "Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:9 In this way Jesus was often contentious in how he spoke to others. For he was dealing with essential matters. But to be contentious in the sense Gal 5 is talking about is to unnecessarily introduce divisions. For example concerning teaching Paul writes, "But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned." Tit 3:9  (“divisive”is actually the word for “heretic”) Not only divisive heresies, but there are also Christians who are unnecessarily contentious concerning customs in the church. Paul wrote concerning head coverings,  "if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God." 1Cor 11:16 Which perhaps is the contention of which Paul speaks of previously in that chapter, "Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you." 1Cor 11:10,11

So chose carefully what you're going to argue about. And we can disagree without being disagreeable.