1John 2:28 Confident Faith

bcbs...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2024, 6:24:25 AMJun 13
to Bcbsr
Confident Faith

1John 2:28  And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.

To shrink back in shame at his coming indicates one is not saved, as it says in Heb 10:37-39 "For in just a very little while, 'He who is coming will come and will not delay.  But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.' (Hab 2:4 LXXBut we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved."

Jesus said, "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels." Mr 8:38

Furthermore the Greek word for "confident" indicates "freedom in speaking, unreservedness in speech", much as Jesus said, "whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven." Mt 10:32,33 And likewise Paul writes, "It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken." With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak" 1Cor 4:13

Thus what constitutes legitimate faith in Christ is not the "secret" faith of the rulers of John 12:42 who "believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue" Rather, saving faith confidently confesses Christ.