Titus 1:1 The Truth Leads to Godliness

STEPHEN AMATO

Jul 28, 2022, 7:43:30 AM7/28/22
to bc...@googlegroups.com
The Truth Leads to Godliness

Titus 1:1
 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God’s elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness—

In Rom 1:5 Paul writes, “Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name” Entering to a saved condition and subsequently into the family of God through regeneration by the Holy Spirit is conditioned upon faith. Subsequent to that having been saved one grows in godliness by applying one's faith to the knowledge of the truth. And if one's alleged faith does not lead them to godliness it's questionable whether their faith is genuine. Or as Paul says later in chapter 2, “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope— the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.” Titus 2:11-14

Far from a fatalistic viewpoint Paul saw the elect's salvation being contingent upon him. For people are elected according to the foreknowledge of God. (1Peter 1:2) God foreknows who will hear and believe. Given that "faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ." Rom 10:17 It was necessary for people to hear the gospel to be saved. Consequently people's salvation was dependent upon people like Paul preaching to them.“It pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.” 1Cor 1:21 And so also there are people whose salvation is dependent upon whether or not you decide to get involved in the process of bringing them to faith in Christ. Thus Paul also writes, “Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.”2Tim 2:10

The correlation between salvation and godliness Paul elaborates on in chapter 2.