HBS: Heresies

1 view

STEPHEN AMATO

Jul 22, 2022, 8:43:53 AM7/22/22
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Heresies

Gal 5:19-21 "... heresies... those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Divisions (dissensions) come together with heresies. (The word used in Gal 5 is “hairesis” in Gk.) Paul writes, "first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it.  For there must also be heresies among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you." 1Cor 11:18,19 If there's a group or individual who, in pride, wants to be recognized and approved, they will characteristically introduce heresies so as to have an illegitimate basis of distinguishing themselves from others. There are whole denominations in the Christian community who live like this.

Peter uses the same Greek word “hairesis” in this passage. "But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction." 2Peter 2:1 These are they who view freedom of Christ is a license to sin and thus deny the Lordship of Christ. For “He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” 2Cor 5:15

Heretics are hell bound.