Titus 1:7  Elders must have Self-Control

STEPHEN AMATO

Aug 3, 2022, 6:03:46 AM8/3/22
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Elders must have Self-Control

Titus 1:7  For a overseer must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,

Notice that "elder" is synonymous with "overseer". Though many an elder today could be more accurately described as "overlookers".

The attitude of the overseer must be just the opposite of elitism, being not the master of the house, but simply the steward, overseeing the house on behalf of the master. Thus in contrast to being "self-willed", he must be "Spirit led", complying to the Lord's will. He must not be "quick-tempered", prone to angry outbursts, or to the rash decisions that result from such a temperament.

Naturally you don't want a drunkard as a steward.

Historically the religious elite tend to characteristically be prone to violence, greed and pride. For consider the category of people who crucified Christ. The office of institutional leaders tends to both attract such people or to develop such characteristics in people hold such offices. Thus it is very important to assign the best people to such offices. For example it says, “not a novice, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil.”1Tim 3:6 The devil himself is a precedent for those who get corrupted by religious office!

As for greedy, Paul advises the elders in emphasis in this manner, "I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’" Acts 20:33-35 Thus Paul advises elders not to receive payment for their services, but rather to earn their own living to provided for the needy. And elders who demand payment for their services are actually diverting funds which would otherwise have been directed to the needy.