Titus 1:10,11 Silence Apostates

STEPHEN AMATO

Aug 8, 2022, 7:29:02 AM8/8/22
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Silence Apostates

Titus 1:10,11 For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group. They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach— and that for the sake of dishonest gain.

Basically there are many who replace the Word of God with their own opinion. The cult of the circumcision of whom Paul dealt with extensively in Galatians, appeared to originate in the church of Jerusalem - the church of which was led by Peter, James and John, who, likely due to the prejudice they held against Gentiles at the times, were grossly negligent in allowing this cult to grow in their own church. And it took Paul to come into their church to deal with it himself because men were coming from that church over to his preaching a false gospel. Thus his conviction “They must be silenced!”

The process of doing so may involve confrontation, conflict and intimidation; and you yourself may be viewed as a divisive person in the good that you do. For even fellow Christians will return evil for the good that you intend in doing this kind of thing. But for the sake of the body it must be done.

Be on guard particularly for those who received payment or like benefit for teaching. Not that such is wrong in itself, as Paul also said, “The Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.” 1Cor 9:14, though that is an option that Paul himself avoided. “Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.” 2Cor 2:17 And “you know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed— God is our witness.” 1Th 2:5 And furthermore over time those who get paid for ministry can't really be sure to what extent the money is affecting their teachings. The case of the cult of the circumcision is even more transparent.