2Cor 5:14 Christ's Love Compels Us

bcbs...@yahoo.com

Feb 6, 2024, 6:01:47 AMFeb 6
to Bcbsr
Christ's Love Compels Us

2Cor 5:14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.

Formerly he spoke of being motivated out of the fear of God. Here he speaks of being motivated out of Christ's love. He is not speaking of his love for Christ, but rather Christ's love for those for whom he died. 1John 4:19 "We love because he first loved us." And "the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Gal 5:6b Love is a great motivator. Paul speaks of the labors of the Thessalonians as being "prompted by love". 1Thes 1:3b

Now since Christ died for all, that implies that all need to be saved. John writes, "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." 1John 2:2 Therefore this compels us to reach out and spread the gospel to the world. But the Calvinistic concept of "limited atonement" which some have been indoctrinated with, doesn't go along with this reasoning, as also is the case with a number of other concepts in Calvinism. Consequently the modern mission movement has been partly a result of the decline of Calvinistic dogmatism. Today Christ's love compels us to share the gospel so to save the lost.