Wholesome Undie riders say "Gentlemen, Stop Your Engines!"

已查看 1 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

agent humble

未读,
2003年7月7日 17:51:562003/7/7
收件人
MEDIA RELEASE
For Immediate Release

STREETS ARE FOR PEOPLE, NOT FOR CARS
Wholesome Undie riders say "Gentlemen, Stop Your Engines!"

VANCOUVER -- July 3, 2003 -- On Sunday, July 20, the fourth annual
Wholesome Undie will take to the streets of Vancouver.

When: 12:00 Noon, Sunday, July 20th
Where: Vancouver Art Gallery (Georgia Street Side)

Slower, sexier, and smarter than the Molson Indy 限 the Wholesome
Undie has all the thrills of Vancouver's loudest corporate spectacle,
but it features riders on bicycles... dressed in their underwear!

The Wholesome Undie will begin with a Briefing at the Art Gallery,
after which the crack team of Undie Riders will roll through the
street of downtown Vancouver. The ride will occupy the roadway, not
blocking traffic, because WE ARE TRAFFIC.

Undie Racers will re-claim the streets with their elegant,
inexpensive, human-powered vehicles. Instead of the roar of combustion
engines, they will serenade the city with ringing bells, songs and
raps, and the whisper of fine lingerie. The Undie won't cause any
pollution, since Undie racers emit only natural gas. Undie vehicles
don't go as fast, but they go in style.

With greenhouse gas emissions and climate change causing massive and
escalating worldwide damage, the last thing we should be doing is
glorifying the use of motor vehicles through car races. We do not
accept that there is any net economic benefit to the GVRD, as most
people have a fixed entertainment budget which will be spent whether
there is a Molson Indy or not. The time has come to find healthy,
car-free alternatives.

This year's Wholesome Undie ride is hot on the heels of the over 800
strong June 27 Critical Mass Ride. Last year's Wholesome Undie ride
was selected by the Georgia Straight and its readers as the 2002 Best
Protest in Vancouver.

-30-

For Information contact:
Alison Unserwear, 604-688-4228, mome...@emeraldcity.bc.ca

For pictures of past years rides and more details:
http://vancouver.indymedia.org/undie

For information on Critical Mass:
http://www.velolove.bc.ca
http://www.monkeywrenchcafe.org/cm/home.htm

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE MOTORIZED

Paul Keenleyside

未读,
2003年7月7日 18:16:012003/7/7
收件人

"agent humble" <hum...@monkeywrenchcafe.org> wrote in message

> Undie Racers will re-claim the streets with their elegant,
> inexpensive, human-powered vehicles. Instead of the roar of combustion
> engines, they will serenade the city with ringing bells, songs and
> raps, and the whisper of fine lingerie. The Undie won't cause any
> pollution, since Undie racers emit only natural gas. Undie vehicles
> don't go as fast, but they go in style.

What about the visual pollution caused by this? Looking at most cyclists in
their underwear would make anyone go blind.
Even the skinny ones who are flat as a board above the waist and hair
everywhere.

Let's just hope none of the Undie Racers have just purchased brand new
underpants and they haven't eaten a burrito that
could cause 'embarrasment' later.

As for the natural gas emissions, please do not eat a meaty burrito or beans
before the event.

If you have indigestion or if you think your just eaten food is going for
the fast exit, do not ride.

> With greenhouse gas emissions and climate change causing massive and
> escalating worldwide damage, the last thing we should be doing is
> glorifying the use of motor vehicles through car races. We do not
> accept that there is any net economic benefit to the GVRD, as most
> people have a fixed entertainment budget which will be spent whether
> there is a Molson Indy or not. The time has come to find healthy,
> car-free alternatives.
>
> This year's Wholesome Undie ride is hot on the heels of the over 800
> strong June 27 Critical Mass Ride. Last year's Wholesome Undie ride
> was selected by the Georgia Straight and its readers as the 2002 Best
> Protest in Vancouver.

Certainly beats the antics of the anti-APEC protesters when they were
ripping down the chainlink fence and then complaining
about the police, or the chewing up of the legislative lawn by the
protestors who were camped out for weeks who figured
they represent the majority of British Columbians.

Hopefully Joy McPhail or Libby Davies will not be part of the Vancouver
Undie ride. Seeing either one riding around in their underwear would make
anyone go blind.

But then seeing Tim Stevenson and Jim Green in their undies would make
anyone go blind, too.

»Tylêr Dûrdên «

未读,
2003年7月7日 22:00:012003/7/7
收件人

--
http://www.bcrevolution.ca/

> MEDIA RELEASE
> For Immediate Release
>
> STREETS ARE FOR PEOPLE, NOT FOR CARS
> Wholesome Undie riders say "Gentlemen, Stop Your Engines!"
>
> VANCOUVER -- July 3, 2003 -- On Sunday, July 20, the fourth annual
> Wholesome Undie will take to the streets of Vancouver.
>
> When: 12:00 Noon, Sunday, July 20th
> Where: Vancouver Art Gallery (Georgia Street Side)
>
> Slower, sexier, and smarter than the Molson Indy 限 the Wholesome
> Undie has all the thrills of Vancouver's loudest corporate spectacle,
> but it features riders on bicycles... dressed in their underwear!
>
> The Wholesome Undie will begin with a Briefing at the Art Gallery,
> after which the crack team of Undie Riders will roll through the
> street of downtown Vancouver. The ride will occupy the roadway, not
> blocking traffic, because WE ARE TRAFFIC.
>
> Undie Racers will re-claim the streets with their elegant,
> inexpensive, human-powered vehicles. Instead of the roar of combustion
> engines, they will serenade the city with ringing bells, songs and
> raps, and the whisper of fine lingerie. The Undie won't cause any
> pollution, since Undie racers emit only natural gas. Undie vehicles
> don't go as fast, but they go in style.
>
> With greenhouse gas emissions and climate change causing massive and
> escalating worldwide damage, the last thing we should be doing is
> glorifying the use of motor vehicles through car races.

Are these the same nutbars that thought CART cars run on gasoline?

Do they have any idea of the emissions rate of one of these 2.65-liter
engines?

Isaac

未读,
2003年7月8日 16:34:532003/7/8
收件人

agent humble wrote:
[snip]

> The Wholesome Undie will begin with a Briefing at the Art Gallery,
> after which the crack team of Undie Riders will roll through the
> street of downtown Vancouver. The ride will occupy the roadway, not
> blocking traffic, because WE ARE TRAFFIC.

Just because you're considered legally to be part of traffic doesn't
mean that you can't block traffic. You'll be the same as a slow car. I
believe there is a law against obstruction of traffic.

> raps, and the whisper of fine lingerie. The Undie won't cause any
> pollution, since Undie racers emit only natural gas. Undie vehicles
> don't go as fast, but they go in style.

So you won't cause any pollution just like cows, being natural don't
cause any pollution? (In case you don't know, they are a massive
contributor to suspected greenhouse warming).
So none of your bicycles use petroleum derived lubricants? There were no
sulphur emissions from the steel mills that made the metal for your
bicycles? You must also use environmentally friendly tires hand-carved
from wood-not-from-old-growth-rainforests too, not that sucky synthetic
rubber stuff.
Of course, being so environmentally friendly, you picked yours up right
from the factory instead of letting them be shipped over in loud,
polluting diesel trucks and/cargo ships, which, BTW, run on petroleum
based fuels.

> With greenhouse gas emissions and climate change causing massive and
> escalating worldwide damage, the last thing we should be doing is
> glorifying the use of motor vehicles through car races. We do not
> accept that there is any net economic benefit to the GVRD, as most
> people have a fixed entertainment budget which will be spent whether
> there is a Molson Indy or not. The time has come to find healthy,

No, that's right. During the Molson Indy, we'll have no out-of-town
visitors. And even if we do, they'll have brought their own food and be
sleeping in tents on public ground. And even if they do book hotel rooms
and go sight-seeing and eat at our restaurants, it doesn't matter. They
have a fixed entertainment budget and they would've mailed that money up
to Vancouver anyways.

Please, you're giving a bad name to cyclists in Vancouver.

I.

Darren McHugh

未读,
2003年7月8日 17:30:262003/7/8
收件人
agent humble wrote:

> . The ride will occupy the roadway, not
> blocking traffic, because WE ARE TRAFFIC.

So, if I walk in front of your bicycle at 2 mph and refuse to get out of
your way, then that would be OK, because I'm just "traffic" too, right?

Gotcha, ya sactimonious asshole.

Darren

Joe Shmoe

未读,
2003年7月8日 17:55:012003/7/8
收件人
Darren McHugh wrote:

I believe there are laws against walking on the road.

Brian Edmonds

未读,
2003年7月8日 18:55:432003/7/8
收件人
Joe Shmoe <sh...@shmoe.com> writes:
> I believe there are laws against walking on the road.

Are there? At least in the absence of a sidewalk that certainly doesn't
seem practical. I know there are laws against cycling on the sidewalk,
though that seems to make little difference to practice or enforcement.

Brian.

Joe Shmoe

未读,
2003年7月8日 19:40:082003/7/8
收件人
Brian Edmonds wrote:

The jaywalking bylaws could be applied to a pedestrian not using the
sidewalk. You could argue the technicality that you weren't going to cross
the street and were therefore not jaywalking but I'm no judge.

I didn't think it was necessary to add "... expect in those areas where
there are no sidewalks." Chances are there would be a shoulder so you
still wouldn't have to walk on the road.

Kinda pointless anyway; anybody walking 2kmh on the road won't get to far
(at least in this city).

Shel Scott

未读,
2003年7月9日 18:17:182003/7/9
收件人
hum...@monkeywrenchcafe.org (agent humble) wrote:
<snip>

>We do not
>accept that there is any net economic benefit to the GVRD, as most
>people have a fixed entertainment budget which will be spent whether
>there is a Molson Indy or not.
<snip>
What a truly retared "analysis". You're a bunch of close-minded
idiots!
--
): "I may make you feel, but I can't make you think" :(
(: Off the monitor, through the modem, nothing but net :)

»Tylêr Dûrdên «

未读,
2003年7月9日 18:32:462003/7/9
收件人
--
http://www.bcrevolution.ca/
"Brian Edmonds" <br...@gweep.ca> wrote in message

Technically speaking, everyone has an equal share of the road, if its Crown
highway. However if you are an unnecessary impediment, or "disturbance of
the peace" you can be ticketed.

So if you ride a bike down the middle of the street, when you could be near
the shoulder, you may get a ticket. You'd have to read through the over 200
sections and hundreds more sub-sections of the Motor Vehicle Act to find out
what charge, though.

Under Common Law it would only be an offence if your actions involved some
sort of malicious intent, or gross criminal negligence. That is the beauty
of the common law.... and where the phrase 'ignorance of the law is no
excuse' came from.

What we have now is a bunch of "rules and practices" forming a parasite law,
for the purpose of generating government revenue.

Friend of the Doktor

未读,
2003年7月9日 20:44:072003/7/9
收件人
> ): "I may make you feel, but I can't make you think" :(
> (: Off the monitor, through the modem, nothing but net :)

Hey! A Jethro Tull fan!

Loose Cannon

未读,
2021年10月30日 14:06:142021/10/30
收件人
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:55:43 -0700, Brian Edmonds <br...@gweep.ca>
wrote:
Depends on who's doing the walking and who's doing the riding. Blacks
and all other untermensch should always yield to a White person, no
matter what the circumstances.
0 个新帖子