BBRv2 v2alpha branch rebased from 5.10 to 5.13.12

Neal Cardwell

Aug 21, 2021, 3:57:12 PM8/21/21
to BBR Development
Hi all,

I have rebased the TCP BBR v2alpha branch on github on top of the latest stable release, Linux 5.13.12, and verified that this seems to fix a recently reported build issue on Ubuntu  21.04 (due to incompatibilities between some binutils package versions and some upstream kernels).

As always, if you want to try building and running the TCP BBR v2alpha code you can use the recipe in the BBR v2alpha README.

best,
neal

MUHAMMAD AHSAN

Aug 23, 2021, 4:34:38 AM8/23/21
to BBR Development
hi ,

i have performed these steps:
git clone -o google-bbr -b v2alpha https://github.com/google/bbr.git
cd bbr/

but now pl guide what ip should i give while installing ./gce-install.sh -m ${HOST}    , if i give local ip from ifconfig command (e.g 192.168.180.137) ,

at the end script fails saying it cannot communicate with scp.  Although the linux image three files are created in the BBR folder .

any help will be appreciated.
thanks.
Ahsan

MUHAMMAD AHSAN

Aug 23, 2021, 5:14:34 AM8/23/21
to BBR Development
root@ubuntu:/usr/src/bbr# ./gce-install.sh -m local
cleaning...
copying config.gce to .config ...
running make olddefconfig ...
making...
making modules ...
making install ...
making modules_install ...
making tarball ...
running: scp /usr/src/bbr/gce/+v2alpha+1a45fd4faf30+GCE/pkg/kernel-+v2alpha+1a45fd4faf30+GCE.tar.gz2 local:~/
ssh: Could not resolve hostname local: Temporary failure in name resolution
lost connection

Neal Cardwell

Aug 23, 2021, 10:16:22 AM8/23/21
to MUHAMMAD AHSAN, BBR Development
In general, for whatever machine you are trying to install the kernel on, you will first need to ensure that you can ssh to that IP address or hostname and thereby log into that machine without typing a password, e.g., by using ssh-agent. If you need to debug that ssh login process, I recommend "ssh -v <target>".

Your first e-mail mentioned:
> at the end script fails saying it cannot communicate with scp.

It would be helpful to know the exact error message. Can you please copy and paste the entire terminal output, starting from what you typed, and continuing until the next command line prompt?

Your second e-mail mentioned:
> root@ubuntu:/usr/src/bbr# ./gce-install.sh -m local

I suspect there is a typo here, and you intended to type "localhost" rather than "local"?

best regards,
neal

Neal Cardwell

Aug 23, 2021, 10:18:26 AM8/23/21
to MUHAMMAD AHSAN, BBR Development
Also, please note that many systems, including Ubuntu, in my experience, are configured to not let people ssh to the machine as root. In your second e-mail you seem to be starting as the root user.

I would recommend starting as some non-root user on the build machine, and then configuring ssh so that you can ssh to the target machine (physical or virtual) with a command like "ssh <target_host_or_ip>". Once that ssh command works, then you can try the "./gce-install.sh" command.

best regards,
neal

Message has been deleted

Neal Cardwell

Mar 29, 2022, 12:27:50 PM3/29/22
to Konstantin Grande, BBR Development
Hi,

Thanks for the report.

It looks like the default kernel config in the v2alpha distribution is
not compatible with the virtualized environment from your VPS. In my
experience the kernel config in the v2alpha distribution works for
Google Cloud and Linode, but it may or may not work on other cloud
platforms, depending on the exact details.

Can you please share which VPS provider you are using?

Have you checked for documentation from your VPS provider to see how
to compile custom kernels to boot on their platform? They will
probably have a set of kernel config lines that you need to add before
building your kernel.

best,
neal

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 12:23 PM Konstantin Grande
<grand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Neal,
>
> I've tried to install it to VPS on Debian 11 (kernel 5.10).
>
> 5.13.12 didn't work there - no boot (error "kvm: no hardware support").
>
> So I've just changed it to 5.10.0 in the Makefile. And voila! The same xD
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>

> понедельник, 23 августа 2021 г. в 17:18:26 UTC+3, Neal Cardwell:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbr-dev/159e62d3-b640-4afc-889b-ecc230248578n%40googlegroups.com.

Yuanlai

May 15, 2023, 3:19:03 PM5/15/23
to BBR Development
Hi Neal,
     I read all the posts regarding the BBRv2 installation. But I encountered another problem when I tried to install the bbrv2 kernel on my VMware ubuntu VM.

cleaning...
copying config.gce to .config ...
running make olddefconfig ...
making...
making modules ...
making install ...
making modules_install ...
making tarball ...
running: scp /home/andy1987/bbr/gce/+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE/pkg/kernel-+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.tar.gz2 andy1987:~/
andy1987's password:
kernel-+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.tar.gz2                                                                                                                                 100%  108MB 175.8MB/s   00:00
andy1987's password:
Working files in /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_RN4Okx, early initramfs in /var/tmp/mkinitramfs-FW_vUHvy6, main initramfs in /var/tmp/mkinitramfs-MAIN_vwX8Fd and overlay in /var/tmp/mkinitramfs-OL_Ofqy3j
W: missing /lib/modules/5.13.12+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.old
W: Ensure all necessary drivers are built into the linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/5.13.12+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.old: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
cat: /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_WgXsMj/lib/modules/5.13.12+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.old/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
W: Can't find modules.builtin.modinfo (for locating built-in drivers' firmware, supported in Linux >=5.2)
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.order at /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_WgXsMj/lib/modules/5.13.12+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.old: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin at /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_WgXsMj/lib/modules/5.13.12+v2alpha+a23c4bb59e0c+GCE.old: No such file or directory

     Thank you for your help!

Thanks,
Yuanlai