Current state of BBRv2

William Tang

Feb 23, 2023, 2:51:06 AM2/23/23
to BBR Development
Hi,

The v2alpha branch of the GitHub repository is not updated since Aug, 18.  What's the current state of the project?  Is it abandoned?  Are there any timeline of when can it be merged to the mainline kernel?

Regards,
William

Neal Cardwell

Feb 23, 2023, 10:14:06 AM2/23/23
to William Tang, BBR Development
Hi,

The current state of the BBRv2 project is that we are using it and tuning it and planning to send it upstream for mainline Linux. :-) We have been waiting to upstream BBRv2 to mainline Linux when we are confident from our own experience that it matches or exceeds BBRv1 in every important metric we track for datacenter, YouTube, and google.com use cases. We have recently deployed some bug fixes internally that seem to perhaps reach that milestone, so we are starting to prepare a patch series for upstream Linux.

best regards,
neal

Dave Taht

Feb 23, 2023, 11:27:55 AM2/23/23
to Neal Cardwell, William Tang, BBR Development
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 7:14 AM 'Neal Cardwell' via BBR Development
<bbr...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current state of the BBRv2 project is that we are using it and tuning it and planning to send it upstream for mainline Linux. :-) We have been waiting to upstream BBRv2 to mainline Linux when we are confident from our own experience that it matches or exceeds BBRv1 in every important metric we track for datacenter, YouTube, and google.com use cases. We have recently deployed some bug fixes internally that seem to perhaps reach that milestone, so we are starting to prepare a patch series for upstream Linux.

That is really great to hear! I just got some very good results back
from BBRv1 over here: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/

and am pretty much setup to capture all the metrics that I care about,
such as 10-20Mbit uploads, all the most common ISP plans and
interactions with various AQMs (or the lack thereof)... over here:
https://payne.taht.net - This Linux release cycle? or the next?

> best regards,
> neal
>

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 2:51 AM William Tang <galaxyk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The v2alpha branch of the GitHub repository is not updated since Aug, 18. What's the current state of the project? Is it abandoned? Are there any timeline of when can it be merged to the mainline kernel?
>>
>> Regards,
>> William
>>
>> --

A pithy note on VOQs vs SQM: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

Neal Cardwell

Feb 23, 2023, 11:39:35 AM2/23/23
to Dave Taht, William Tang, BBR Development
<bbr...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current state of the BBRv2 project is that we are using it and tuning it and planning to send it upstream for mainline Linux. :-) We have been waiting to upstream BBRv2 to mainline Linux when we are confident from our own experience that it matches or exceeds BBRv1 in every important metric we track for datacenter, YouTube, and google.com use cases. We have recently deployed some bug fixes internally that seem to perhaps reach that milestone, so we are starting to prepare a patch series for upstream Linux.

That is really great to hear! I just got some very good results back
from BBRv1 over here: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/

and am pretty much setup to capture all the metrics that I care about,
such as 10-20Mbit uploads, all the most common ISP plans and
interactions with various AQMs (or the lack thereof)... over here:
https://payne.taht.net - This Linux release cycle? or the next?

I don't think we can promise a particular Linux release cycle, but we'll do it as soon as we can manage it, given various ongoing efforts. :-)

best,
neal