Linux TCP BBRv3 open source release and IETF 117 talk video and slides [2023/07/25]

Neal Cardwell

Jul 31, 2023, 11:56:05 AM7/31/23
to BBR Development
Hi all,

A few quick announcements from the BBR team at Google:

(1) We pushed an update to the Linux TCP BBR code to github on Tuesday:
  This contains several important bug fixes and a few significant performance tuning improvements.

(2) We are bumping the algorithm version number from v2 to v3 since the bug fixes fix some important issues in bandwidth convergence, so that many conclusions about BBRv2 will no longer apply to BBRv3.

(3)  We presented a summary of the updates and plans at the IETF  on Tuesday:
  • [YouTube] [slides] BBRv3: Algorithm Updates and Public Internet Deployment - IETF 117 - CCWG (Jul 2023)
best regards,
neal

Dave Taht

Jul 31, 2023, 2:30:42 PM7/31/23
to Neal Cardwell, BBR Development
Looks very promising. I look forward to trying it, especially now that
I have increased observability with libreqos to see inbound from
google. I have a slew of CAKE-using AS numbers nowadays, seeing the
switchover would have been nice. Perhaps in your data you can pick out
any before/after differences in AS 45230, one of our larger sites?

Have y'all looked at slow start much? (more broadly, does BBRv3 have
any changes to slow start?)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9406 looked interesting.