Time between PROBE_RTT

Adi Gordon

Feb 16, 2024, 11:59:49 AMFeb 16
to BBR Development
Hi,
Recently, I have been trying to learn and understand the BBR congestion control algorithm.
I have a question regarding the time between PROBE_RTT states.

In the https://github.com/google/bbr/blob/v2alpha/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr2.c (line 40), it mentions a 10-second duration for entering PROBE_RTT if certain conditions are met:
"*If* a flow has been continuously sending for the entire min_rtt window, and hasn't seen an RTT sample that matches or decreases its min_rtt estimate for 10 seconds, then it briefly enters PROBE_RTT to cut inflight to a minimum value to re-probe the path's two-way propagation delay (min_rtt)."

However, in the same file, in the `bbr_update_min_rtt` function (line 1145), it seems that the flow moves to the PROBE_RTT state if the `probe_rtt_min_us` was not updated for 5 seconds (probe_rtt_win_ms = 5000 line 250).

In the IETF documentation, it mentions an interval of 5 seconds for entering PROBE_RTT:
"Up to once every ProbeRTTInterval = 5 seconds, the flow enters ProbeRTT."

So my question is, why is there a difference in the time interval mentioned between the sources? Specifically, why does the first reference use 10 seconds?

Best regards,
Adi

Neal Cardwell

Feb 16, 2024, 12:17:48 PMFeb 16
to Adi Gordon, BBR Development
Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy between the comments and the code! The comments mention 10 seconds because that was the time interval used in BBRv1 for both the PROBE_RTT interval and the min_rtt filter window. When we changed the code to use a PROBE_RTT interval of 5 sec in BBRv2 we missed those old comments, and forgot to update them to match the new behavior.  :-) We will update those comments to make them match the code.

Thanks again!
neal