Query about reducing pacing rate by 1%

Mohit P. Tahiliani

May 28, 2024, 11:40:55 PMMay 28
to BBR Development
Hello!

In the Internet Draft, `BBR.pacing_rate` is reduced by 1% (`BBRPacingMarginPercent`) only on `BBRSetPacingRateWithGain`, not on `BBRInitPacingRate` [1].

However, in the Linux implementation, both the methods `bbr_init_pacing_rate_from_rtt` and `bbr_set_pacing_rate` use a common method `bbr_bw_to_pacing_rate` which internally calls `bbr_rate_bytes_per_sec` and the reduction of pacingRate is actually implemented here [2], due to which the `pacing_rate` is being reduced by 1% on both.

Our understanding is that the Linux implementation is different from what the Internet Draft mentions. Is that correct?

If so, which approach should be followed?

Thanks and Regards,
Mohit P. Tahiliani

Michael Davis

May 30, 2024, 1:09:42 PMMay 30
to BBR Development
AFAIK, you should check the draft v1, since the current linux implementation is v1.

Mohit P. Tahiliani

May 31, 2024, 1:30:50 PMMay 31
to Michael Davis, BBR Development
Thanks, Michael.

I see that draft v1 and v2 are similar in this aspect [1].

Regards,
Mohit P. Tahiliani

MUHAMMAD AHSAN

May 31, 2024, 1:33:07 PMMay 31
to Mohit P. Tahiliani, Michael Davis, BBR Development
Sept 2022 is the latest draft and it is based on bbr v2 , there is no draft yet for bbr v3.

In linux mainline we have bbr v1 and in windows 11 we have bbr v2.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ahsan