Fwd: [tsvwg] BBR based CCID5 for (MP-)DCCP - ANRW paper

Neal Cardwell

Jul 19, 2021, 9:13:25 AM7/19/21
to BBR Development

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <Markus...@telekom.de>
Date: Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 5:22 AM
Subject: [tsvwg] BBR based CCID5 for (MP-)DCCP - ANRW paper
To: <ic...@irtf.org>
Cc: <ts...@ietf.org>

Dear all,

I would like to share with you our latest work on the new, BBR based, congestion control implementation CCID5 for DCCP, which we present in the ANRW21 accepted paper "CCID5: An implementation of the BBR Congestion Control algorithm for DCCP and its impact over multi-path scenarios". A pre-print version can be found at https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.15832.

While the focus in the paper is initially on the implementation and its challenges over the existing TCP implementation, in a second step the performance is compared with CCID2 in multipath scenarios using MP-DCCP. One of the findings is, that the optimal operation point of BBR with the amount of data in flight equals BDP helps to stabilize the aggregated througput across paths and keep the multipath reordering effort low.

CCID5 can be found as open source Linux reference implementation at https://github.com/telekom/mp-dccp/tree/master/net/dccp/ccids.

We consider to enhance the existing BRR implementation to be compliant with BBRv2 in future. In this process we could also imagine to specify BBR(v2) as part of the DCCP CCID framework at IETF. Any help in this direction is welcome.

Br

Markus