Emmet

Alain Paradis

Jul 20, 2021, 8:52:57 AM7/20/21
to BBEdit Talk
I'm a hobbyist level user.

I'd like to use Emmet with BBedit 14. I *think* I have it properly installed, but expansions aren't happening. I've installed Emmet. I have a nodes_modules folder in my Home Directory with an Emmet folder in it. There are snippets files in the folder. Still, no completions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Edzard de Ranitz

Jul 22, 2021, 7:39:09 AM7/22/21
to BBEdit Talk
After some trail and error i got Emmet working. nodes_modules folder in Home Directory does not sound correct.

/usr/local/ and various sub folders is where it all should go.

I used the installer form https://nodejs.org/en/

Best...

Greg Raven

Jul 23, 2021, 8:34:30 AM7/23/21
to BBEdit Talk
In my experience, the node_modules folder winds up in the user directory after installing NodeJS / NPM from nodejs.org. When you install using Homebrew (brew.sh), the supporting files seem to wind up where they belong in /usr/local/bin/ (as symbolic links, of course).

Watts Martin

Jul 23, 2021, 8:47:01 AM7/23/21
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I've verified Emmet working when Node is installed installed the following ways:

- from the Node.js installer package, installed in /usr/local/bin
- from Homebrew, installed in /usr/local/bin
- from Homebrew on Apple Silicon, installed in /usr/local/bin

Once it's installed that way, I'd personally recommend installing Emmet globally (e.g., "node install -g emmet").

The method that BBEdit uses to find node should work whenever node is installed on your shell path as BBEdit sees it. That is not necessarily how your shell prompt sees it! Path modifications that are set in .zshenv or .zprofile (or your shell's equivalents) should work, but if they're set in .zshrc (or equivalent), I don't think they will.

Installing it via nvm is therefore... tricky, because it's doing a lot of interactive path trickery with your shell to work. If you really want to try to have it work solely with nvm you might try ensuring you've (a) added the nvm initialization lines to .zshenv or .zprofile, NOT .zshrc; (b) set a global default version of node with "nvm alias default node"; (c) ensured that Emmet is installed in that global default version.

I don't know if that will work, because I haven't tested it, and even if it does work, it means you'll need to reinstall Emmet every time you change the global default.

tl;dr: I am sure nvm is lovely and kind to small children and animals, but maybe install a system version of node globally and stick Emmet in that.

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
---

Rick Yentzer

Jun 26, 2024, 8:25:48 PMJun 26
to BBEdit Talk
I was getting tripped up because even though my shell (default zsh), BBEdit, nor the shell were seeing emmet. Once I added the location of npm to .zprofile, BBEdit was able to see it.

FWIW, I installed node via homebrew. On my M3 Macbook Pro, brew installs in /opt/homebrew/
Posting for reference.