Making git send-email multiedit work as expected

Logan Kirkland

Jul 13, 2024, 9:07:41 PM (9 days ago) Jul 13
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I’d like to be able to use bbedit to edit cover letters and patch comments when I’m sending multiple patches at once. I have set bbedit as my default git editor as follows:

git config core.editor "bbedit --wait --resume"

I also have send-email multiedit enabled:

git config sendemail.multiedit true

This works fine when sending a single patch. However, when sending multiple patches at once, bbedit doesn’t behave as I would expect. The way this works in vim is that all patches to be edited are opened simultaneously as buffers. You can switch through them with :bn and then exit when all your edits are made.

The behavior I’d expect from bbedit is that all patches are opened in a single editor window with each file is listed in the sidebar. However, what actually happens is that the patches open one by one—the first patch opens, then after you close it the second patch opens, and so on.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get multiedit behavior working with git?

Thanks,
Logan

--
Logan Kirkland