Adding a column?

Ryan Warner

Oct 5, 2023, 3:08:01 PM10/5/23
to BBEdit Talk
Why can't I figure this out? I have several lines of irregular length text like this:
---- begin ----------------------------------
Dallas
New York
Atlanta
Los Angeles
Springfield

Texas
New York
Georgia
California
---- end ------------------------------------

I want to cute/paste the states and create a nicely aligned second column. If I extend the Dallas line with spaces, I am able to create a rectangle selection down to Springfield. However as soon as I try to paste the states they just end up like this:

---- begin ----------------------------------
Dallas       Texas
New YorkNew York
AtlantaGeorgia
Los AngelesCalifornia
Springfield
---- end ------------------------------------

I tried to make typing a character rather than pasting, but the behavior is the same.

---- begin ----------------------------------
Dallas       x
New Yorkx
Atlantax
Los Angelesx
Springfield x
---- end ------------------------------------

How do I get BBEdit to add spaces at the end of multiple lines, in order a new visually aligned column?

Fletcher Sandbeck

Oct 5, 2023, 3:49:19 PM10/5/23
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Place tabs after the city names in the first column. Adjust the number of spaces per tab using the gear icon at the top of the BBEdit window. And then do your rectangular copy/paste.

[fletcher]

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.47.31 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.47.37 PM.png

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
---