Re: Windows alternative to BBEdit

Morbus Iff

Aug 29, 2012, 8:41:12 AM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
> I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
> They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
> closer to BBEdit or Coda?

When I'm on Windows, I prefer Notepad++:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org

--
Morbus Iff ( notice how he deftly sidesteps the panty issue. )
http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.disobey.com/wiki/

François Schiettecatte

Aug 29, 2012, 9:06:29 AM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Just did a google search for "Windows Text Editors":

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/6-powerful-text-editors-for-windows.html

Looks like Notepad++ and UltraEdit are it.

Best regards

François

On Aug 28, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Robert Scott <scot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
> They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
> closer to BBEdit or Coda?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> --
> If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem,
> please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting to the group.
> Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>

Steve deRosier

Aug 29, 2012, 10:35:14 AM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
When I was forced into the same situation, I found that SlickEdit
worked best for me. NP++ is fine for quick and dirty stuff, but for
real work, spend a little money.

I happen to use Araxis Merge because it's fully x-platform.

One key thing: If SlickEdit is being used by other people, you're best
off using it's key-bindings and rebinding your BBEdit to match. That
way if someone sits at your computer and drives they're not flummoxed.
Otherwise, just rebind the keys to what you're used to.

I usually prefer to work on a Mac with BBEdit and run Windows as a
VirtualMachine. The VM mounts my Mac workspace as a network drive and
I build there.

- Steve

Robert A. Rosenberg

Aug 29, 2012, 11:22:53 AM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
At 17:33 -0700 on 08/28/2012, Robert Scott wrote about Windows
alternative to BBEdit:

>Hey all,
>I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
>They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
>closer to BBEdit or Coda?
>
>Thanks!

Interesting I have the same need. I am working with someone who has a
Windows Machine and I aimed him at NotePad ++ which does the basic
formatting and coloring of the tags but nothing more. He looked at my
BBEdit and wants a Windows equivalent with the format checking, code
generation (ie: The Markup menu features), etc. Hopefully someone
here can aim us in the direction of a Windows program with the same
level of features as BBE. The ones I see require you to know HTML as
opposed to BBE which can do the HTML template generation that can
fill in the parms and tags.

At 08:41 -0400 08/29/2012, Morbus Iff wrote about Re: Windows
alternative to BBEdit:
>When I'm on Windows, I prefer Notepad++:
>
> http://notepad-plus-plus.org

As I said above, NP++ is a minimal HTML editor which lacks most of
the BBE features. All NP++ does (unless I am missing something) is to
handle displaying the tags. It offers no help in coding the HTML.

Micky Hulse

Aug 29, 2012, 12:16:55 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest Dreamweaver.

--
Sent from my Macbook Wheel

Lee Hinde

Clark Goble

Aug 29, 2012, 1:09:19 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 28, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Robert Scott <scot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
> They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
> closer to BBEdit or Coda?

Everyone I know stuck on Windows uses Sublime Text 2. It's available for the Mac too. There are some things about it that absolutely bug me which is why when TextMate ran into its issues I came to BBEdit. (I love the way BBEdit does split screen for a document). However definitely on Windows ST2 is the way to go.

Steve Nicholson

Aug 29, 2012, 3:02:44 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 28, 2012, at 5:33 PM, Robert Scott wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
> They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
> closer to BBEdit or Coda?
>
> Thanks!

When I was a Windows programmer in the previous century I used and liked a program called Multi-Edit. It seems like they are still around: http://www.multiedit.com/ME2008.php.

-Steve

Phil Dobbin

Aug 29, 2012, 4:13:19 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I've heard good things about Cream <http://cream.sourceforge.net/> on
the Vim Dev list from people there using Windows.

You can either have it as "full cream" which has a lot of the
functionality of Vim but without the so called 'steep' learning curve or
straight Vim "without cream". Full cream is apparently a much easier
route if you have no experience of Vim.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
But masters, remember that I am an ass.
Though it be not written down,

Bucky Junior

Aug 29, 2012, 4:43:39 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 28, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Robert Scott wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
> They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
> closer to BBEdit or Coda?
>
> Thanks!

Robert,

Congratulations on the job. Condolences on it being a Windows shop.

Yes, back in the last century, I too had a job in a Windows shop. At the time, I found a featuresome chunk of HTML creating software and was mostly pleased with using it.

I thought I might recommend it again as a possibility, but looking at their pages with iCab--which has an immediate HTML/CSS checker--I found the pages riddled with errors.

Now really. How can anyone with a shred of self respect offer to sell a program that makes broken pages? Sorry. I thought I had something to offer. Guess I don't.

Bucky

Robert Minor

Aug 29, 2012, 4:56:58 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
We use Ultra-Edit for our windows services. A great editor for all sorts of programming.

Nello Lucchesi

Aug 29, 2012, 11:20:49 AM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
My favorite Windows HTML editor was HomeSite:

http://www.adobe.com/products/homesite/

Apparently, TopStyle4 is considered its successor:

http://nick.typepad.com/blog/2009/06/homesite-discontinued.html

Take a look:

http://www.topstyle4.com/

- nello

Nello Lucchesi

Patrick Woolsey

Aug 29, 2012, 6:09:16 PM8/29/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Good evening all,

As this thread started somewhat far afield and is now way off down the road
:-), I'd appreciate if you could take any further discussion to direct mail.

Regards,

Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <http://www.barebones.com>
P.O. Box 1048, Bedford, MA 01730-1048

Steve deRosier

Dec 22, 2012, 4:13:50 PM12/22/12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:33:39 PM UTC-8, Robert Scott wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>> I'm a BBEdit user, but I just got a job as a Developer at a Windows shop,
>> They are using TextPad... Can anyone recommend an alternative, something
>> closer to BBEdit or Coda?

Depends on what you're doing. I write embedded C, C++ and Linux code,
and on Windows I prefer Visual SlickEdit. Don't know how good it
would be for HTML stuff though. It's x-platform and runs on Linux and
Mac also, though I prefer and use BBEdit.

- Steve
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted