Supress warning for documents open on multiple machines

David Donachie

Mar 19, 2022, 12:06:50 PM3/19/22
to BBEdit Talk
Hi all

I keep many text files on Dropbpx, and generally have some of them open in BBEdit on multiple machines at once. I've been doing this for many years, and it's never been an issue, but since I upgraded to 14.1.1 I get a warning about these files every time I open BBEdit.

I can keep the documents open, and it works fine, so I'm wondering if there's a way I can just turn this warning off? I couldn't see anything in Expert Settings, but I'm hoping I just missed something.

Yours
David

Rich Siegel

Mar 19, 2022, 12:07:37 PM3/19/22
to BBEdit Talk
On 19 Mar 2022, at 12:06, David Donachie wrote:

> I keep many text files on Dropbpx, and generally have some of them open in
> BBEdit on multiple machines at once. I've been doing this for many years,
> and it's never been an issue, but since I upgraded to 14.1.1 I get a
> warning about these files every time I open BBEdit.

What's the warning?

R.

David Donachie

Mar 19, 2022, 12:21:00 PM3/19/22
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I have to paraphrase, since I'm not in a place to see it right now, but it's along the lines of "File X is open in another copy of BBEdit, perhaps through Dropbox, and must only be open in one at a time."

David
> --
> This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/BC3F17F0-4839-4BA1-A929-5CB066A0B5D7%40barebones.com.

Rich Siegel

Mar 19, 2022, 12:22:06 PM3/19/22
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Mar 2022, at 12:10, David Donachie wrote:

> I have to paraphrase, since I'm not in a place to see it right now, but it's along the lines of "File X is open in another copy of BBEdit, perhaps through Dropbox, and must only be open in one at a time."

When you see the alert again, please provide the exact text (or even a screen shot). Otherwise I can only speculate. :-)

R.

David Donachie

Mar 19, 2022, 2:56:11 PM3/19/22
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

There you go

David

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/830C639A-7256-4ED6-8E1C-20CF17F08F5E%40barebones.com.

Rich Siegel

Mar 19, 2022, 3:10:42 PM3/19/22
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Mar 2022, at 14:56, David Donachie wrote:

>> On 19 Mar 2022, at 16:21, Rich Siegel <sie...@barebones.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 19 Mar 2022, at 12:10, David Donachie wrote:
>>
>>> I have to paraphrase, since I'm not in a place to see it right now, but it's along the lines of "File X is open in another copy of BBEdit, perhaps through Dropbox, and must only be open in one at a time."
>>
>> When you see the alert again, please provide the exact text (or even a screen shot). Otherwise I can only speculate. :-)

> [screenshot]
> There you go

Here is the relevant notation from the 14.1 change notes (where this was introduced):

```
* Projects and notebooks now include a mechanism to guard against unintentional simultaneous use from multiple computers.
```

Specifically, having the same BBEdit project document (or notebook) open simultaneously on multiple Macs (via Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or other) is a recipe for disaster.

The individual files can certainly be accessed (with the usual caveats), but the project itself is now guarded to prevent this, as noted.

R.

David Donachie

Mar 19, 2022, 3:12:32 PM3/19/22
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

> Here is the relevant notation from the 14.1 change notes (where this was introduced):
>
> ```
> * Projects and notebooks now include a mechanism to guard against unintentional simultaneous use from multiple computers.
> ```
>
> Specifically, having the same BBEdit project document (or notebook) open simultaneously on multiple Macs (via Dropbox, iCloud Drive, or other) is a recipe for disaster.
>
> The individual files can certainly be accessed (with the usual caveats), but the project itself is now guarded to prevent this, as noted.

Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know what the possible “disaster” is? In all the time of using projects via Dropbpx I’ve never had the slightest issue.

David

Rich Siegel

Mar 19, 2022, 3:30:29 PM3/19/22
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Yes; it's possible for conflicting changes to corrupt the project document.

R.