All file types assigned to BBEdit shown as “text document” in Finder

Martin Post

Jun 10, 2024, 5:23:50 AMJun 10
to BBEdit Talk
On my Mac, for all document types that I have set to always open in BBEdit, the file type in the Finder is shown as “Text document”.

So Shell Scripts, PHP docs, XML files etc. are all the same type, which makes it hard to sort and navigate complex projects.

I read on StackEdit that this is usually due to the respective application, not macOS / the Finder.

Is this a known issue, and how can I resolve it?

Thank you.

Martin Post

Jun 15, 2024, 2:19:52 PMJun 15
to BBEdit Talk
In the meantime, I was able to resolve this. So just in case someone else comes across this problem…

I have learned that BBEdit is not to blame here. It seems other applications registered various file types (.sh, .php), and when I uninstalled these applications, these files became generic “text documents” in the Finder.

To resolve this issue, I changed the “Always open with” application to something else (e.g. Visual Studio Code for .yaml). This fixed the Finder’s kind information. I then changed the “Always open with” application to BBEdit, and the “kind” information stayed correct/intact.