"No Editor" appears while closing documents

James Greenwood

Apr 7, 2024, 8:53:16 AMApr 7
to BBEdit Talk
Until a few months ago, it was a straightforward process to close all BBEdit documents and save any unsaved changes. I repeatedly pressed Command-W, and if the next document had no unsaved changes then it would simply close, and if it had unsaved changes then BBEdit asked me if I wanted to save them. Eventually, all the documents would close and BBEdit would have zero documents open.

Starting a few months ago, this changed. Now when I repeatedly press Command-W, at some point during the process, the main BBEdit window displays "No Editor". The point when this happens seems completely random and arbitrary to me. If I press Command-W again, BBEdit displays a message to the effect that there are still open documents, which in some cases have unsaved changes. But I can no longer reach those documents by pressing Command-W one more.

Sometimes it's possible to reach these open documents by selecting them from BBEdit's Window menu - but sometimes it's not. If not, then the only way I can reach them is by navigating to the document in Finder all over again again, and opening them from there. So I can have multiple documents open in BBEdit with unsaved changes, but no apparent way to "reach" them from within BBEdit.

Needless to say, this makes the process of closing all BBEdit documents and saving any unsaved changes far slower and more laborious than it used to be. Any ideas what's going on?

Rich Siegel

Apr 7, 2024, 8:55:16 AMApr 7
to BBEdit Talk
On 7 Apr 2024, at 8:36, James Greenwood wrote:

> Until a few months ago, it was a straightforward process to close all
> BBEdit documents and save any unsaved changes. I repeatedly pressed
> Command-W, and if the next document had no unsaved changes then it would
> simply close, and if it had unsaved changes then BBEdit asked me if I
> wanted to save them. Eventually, all the documents would close and BBEdit
> would have zero documents open.
>
> Starting a few months ago, this changed.

This sounds like a good question for Tech Support. :-)

For future reference: it's best to ask immediately when you have a question; there's no particular reason to wait months if you think that something is misbehaving.

Also: Close All (Command-Option-W, by default) might be worth a look.

R.

--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <https://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they sedate me.

James Greenwood

Apr 7, 2024, 10:40:54 AMApr 7
to BBEdit Talk
OK thanks - I've emailed Tech Support.

James Greenwood

Apr 20, 2024, 8:03:49 AMApr 20
to BBEdit Talk
FYI - this issue was resolved after updating to v15.0.3.